VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependency As Compensation Claim?

Rate this question

Loose Cannon

Question

Not sure why but ebennies lists a dependency claim I submitted in Aug 2013 as a compensation claim with a forecasted completion date window of Jan-Apr 2014. Is this normal?? I am aware that if approved, I may receive "back compensation pay" but that isn't the motivating factor. I am trying to get my 26 year old stepdaughter who has autism approved so she can be eligible for health care under CHAMPVA. I filed a claim to have the VA designate her a "helpless child" which is what is needed. She has NEVER worked and relies on her mother and me for daily care, etc.

Hopefully, they will approve it soon. Then, we will file for Social Security benefits for her. Any advice?

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Re: SSDI / SSA

Their primary question is "yes, but will her autism related impairments stop her from gainful employment?"

The evidence you've collected thus far is good, but continuing evidence is preferable. Is she in any kind of therapy - physical, music, etc.? Does she see any type of Doctor on a regular basis where her cognitive or functional impairments related to autism are noted? Has she made any failed work attempts? Those are all good forms of evidence for SSDI / SSA.

If you don't have continuing evidence, would suggest you look up the specific requirements for SSDI SSA 112.09 as jbasser recommended and address each and every requirements with the evidence you do have. Then locate the SSA exam form for 112.09 and ask a doctor, preferable one who has a history with your stepdaughter and is an authority on autism and have them create a medical source statement more or less following the SSA format.

Good luck - and - you may want to check out the www.ssdfacts.com forum. Really great info specific to SSDI.

And p.s., yes, the SSA will probably schedule her for a CE exam, similar to a C&P. Just as with the VA, they don't HAVE to, but they typically will, esp. if the evidence is dated.

Edited by GlassRose1500

Yeah...I really thought this would be a simple one for the VA to move on quickly...boy was I wrong! In fact, this week the earliest completion date has been pushed back to June 2014. That's according to eBenefits so I'll take it with a grain of salt. Just have to wait I suppose but I will move forward and submit her SSD application in the mean time. Many thanks to GlassRose...the www.ssdfacts.com website is full of great info so I will definitely educate myself prior to submitting!

You all have been so nice with your suggestions & comments...keep 'em coming!

Something that I find amazing, I submitted my TDIU claim after my dependent "claim" and it has just moved to gathering evidence. The dependent "claim" which was submited with a copy of marriage license is still sitting in claim recieved.

bobz-

In my humble opinion, using eBenefits to check claim status is similar to pulling the handle on a slot machine...You never know what it will display! I just log on, check what it says, and try to move on...yet it keeps pulling me back again and again...LOL

Been waiting since early 2012 for Winston Salem, NC to complete my "retired pay adjustment" and I've seen my dependency claim go from claim received to under review back to claim received...weirdness!

Not sure why but ebennies lists a dependency claim I submitted in Aug 2013 as a compensation claim with a forecasted completion date window of Jan-Apr 2014. Is this normal?? I am aware that if approved, I may receive "back compensation pay" but that isn't the motivating factor. I am trying to get my 26 year old stepdaughter who has autism approved so she can be eligible for health care under CHAMPVA. I filed a claim to have the VA designate her a "helpless child" which is what is needed. She has NEVER worked and relies on her mother and me for daily care, etc.

Hopefully, they will approve it soon. Then, we will file for Social Security benefits for her. Any advice?

What the heck . . . ? ? ?

Our grandson is autistic and has received SSA since he was about 4 years old.

He is 16 years old now.

His SSA is dependent on his parents income.

When they are both employed he doesn't get any monetary benefits but

does continue to get all of his medical benefits.

Why isn't she already getting her SSA benefits ?

Why would you wait on anything relating to VA to file for her SSA benefits.