VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Having To Drive Over 350 Miles For A C&p

Rate this question

qwiksting

Question

Hey, I was just informed I will have a C&P for PTSD in Gainesville florida. I live about 350 miles away. I live about 5 miles from the VA center here in my town. But the Army with its wisdom has decided that I can only have this exam in a few select locations here in Florida. Tampa, St. Pete, Orlando, Miami, and of course Gainseville. This will be the third C&P for PTSD for me since the original grant in 05. Recently, I have been awarded Social Security Disability, I was medically retired from my civilian job due to PTSD. I begged the MSC guy to let me take it here in my town, but he said no, those were the authorized locations for the ARMY. Has anyone ever had a C&P at this place?

Extreme anxiety, a little rage going on here now!!!

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't see what the problem is. They're gonna pay you about $300 for the round trip. You can drive, fly, go by bus, train, whatever. Gee every few yrs they want me to do something, that's a little difficult and they pay you how much??? Sorry I can't be more sympathetic. Good luck!!! jmo

pr

Not looking for sympathy, Phillip, just pointing out how ridiculous it is for a SM to drive 5 miles versus 350 one way for a C&P for PTSD. The first 2 C&P's were taken here, 5 miles away at the JACC VA in Pensacola. Now the third one, because its a special one, has to be done in Gainsville. BTW, there has been no discussion of money, airplane,train,walking or automobile transportation or lodging. That, in itself are the tangibles. I don't think there is enough money I would trade to not have to go through this.

Now to the intangibles, I am, have been rated 70% ptsd. I rarely leave my home, in fact my daughter, thank goodness has some sympathy (not that I am looking for it) takes care of my shopping and takes me to my appointments. I take medication that is hazardous to driving. So, what makes this situation more difficult is…I need to find a way to get to said appointment, be able to handle the anxiety of the appointment.(My daughter works) Again, I am not looking for sympathy, just pointing out facts, that are included in my VA medical records. I begged the Army Board of Corrections to not bring me back in the military to complete this MEB. Was it possible to keep me out of the military to accomplish this. The response was, "You are back in the military, magically, and you need to extend for a year to complete this process". I was given that notice in May 13, In June 13, I had a heart attack. I chalk this up to the amount of stress this is causing. Now, to add more stress, I have to jump through hoops to "satisfy" a process I was not afforded when I was administratively discharged E7 at 18 years 9 months due to ptsd. The VA rated my Ptsd to the day I was discharged. For that I say thank you. To the Army, I say kiss my ass! This is so dysfunctional and wasteful. So again, I am not looking for sympathy, just pointing out an observation, along with the original question….Has anyone ever had a C&P at this place? Just a question.

• HadIt.com Elder

Making you drive 300 miles sounds like what worker's compensation used to do to use injured federal workers. We considered it a burden and attempt to get us off the rolls.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

It does sound strange that they would switch venues. I have heard that sometimes they need to take advantage of resources not present at existing facilities.

On the plus side, there is a good chance that someone different will be examining you. If you are still interested in having your exam done locally, I recommend calling the local office and see if they can reschedule.