VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health Results, Fear I'll Get Denied..

Rate this question

jesusplay

Question

john,

You are right on the money. I was rated Severe in all categories by the C&P examiner, yet the VA only gave me 30% and mine was combat related in OIF and OEF. Now I have a FDC claim in and I am praying that they don't screw me again.

thanks for the replies. I've been going through The Board of Veterans' Appeals and I see multiple cases of people serving less than a year, a year, 2 years who've gotten service connected for bipolar. Also, she said I only had one mental disorder when my claim mentions multiple diagnosis, from anxiety states, major depression, adjustment disorder, major depression, and schizophrenia.

again thanks for the info, hopefully it swings in my favor.

Stressors are only relevant if a person is already diagnosed with bipolar disorder because they trigger mood episodes like how the examiner probably stressed you out with his/her incompetence.

Was the examiner a licensed psychiatrist or a psychologist?

Edited by cryingbear

In my experience, good experienced psychiatrists (the ones who actually treat) don't usually diagnose separate disorders like anxiety states + bipolar disorder + schizophrenia + adjustment disorder + major depression.

Once you are diagnosed with bipolar disorder, you can never be diagnosed with a depressive disorder again.

If you experience symptoms that meet diagnosis for schizophrenia for at least 2-weeks, your diagnosis would change to schizophrenia, bipolar type.

Unless you have some major anxiety disorder like PTSD, they usually will attribute your anxiety to symptoms of bipolar or schizophrenia.

My psychiatrist keeps diagnoses as simple as possible so treatment won't be so complex. He made 2 correct diagnoses his first time evaluating me. The DOD and the VA gave me more than 10 different diagnoses and ruled out the 2 correct ones.

How were you discharged and did you seek treatment in service? They probably misdiagnosed and gave you antidepressants which are known to cause manic episodes and rapid cycling making your bipolar permanently worse. There are FDA warning labels on every antidepressant to screen patients at risk for bipolar disorder. Even the DOD/VA warns about antidepressant use http://www.healthquality.va.gov/bd/bd_305_full.pdf