VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Here Actually Rated More Than 0% For Hearing Loss?

Rate this question

ktm rider

Question

My wife was sick and tired of repeating herself so she insisted I go to the VA. It was no secret that my hearing was bad. Failed tests at work every year. I worked on the flight deck of a carrier from 88'.-92'. SO I went.

I did some research online and it seems that a vet rated higher then 0% for hearing loss is as rare as hens teeth.

I was actually denied for my hearing even though I show hearing loss within the VA criteria. It seems that My exit hearing test in 1992 showed no hearing loss..... I don't recall taking an exit test.

Has anyone here actually been successful in claiming hearing loss and got a rating higher than 0%?

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

killiemall,

I am picking up on this late but let me assure you that the VA will and does rate over 10% for HL. My case as it is right now is I am rated 70% for HL and 10% for tinnitus! It did not happen over night but with a careful plan of showing the VA they are wrong.

I read all your post but do not see anywhere were you posted in decisions info on what they said? If you can scan the last decision without your personal info maybe I can help. The least I can do would be is take your results and tell you if you are being compensated properly.

I am 47% word definition and that is a stretch. I am also deaf in my right ear!

Your depression will wear on you as you go along but try not to give into to it! Working with your hearing appointments and

getting your aids to the peak is paramount in tackling this handicap. I know I was denied SC by the VA in 83 and was at the time 33 years old with a brand new baby son and I could not hear him cry! Talk about in the dumps! Over the years my hearing has gotten worse but not so much my depression. I learned as much as I could about lip reading and mannerisms to pretty much figure out what has been said.

Do I screw up oh you bet I do but that is another story.

I try and add a little bit of humor where my hearing is concerned and yes I do at times sit in the corner because I can't hear shit! But oh well nothing is going to change that. My wife loves to say we can put a man on the moon but can not conquer a HL!

Anyhow good luck to you and post that decision and I will see if either I or someone on here can help.

Stillhere

Edited by stillhere

Thanks still here. I was rated 30% HL and 10% tinitus in march 2012

That was based on an exam from Jul 2011.

My hearing has gotten worst.

I have a claim in for an increase since july 2013. Hopefully by July 2014 Ill be retested and then I will post those results.

I did however go spend my own money and have a licenced audioligist test me using the maryland standard.

Ill post those results and you can tell me what you think

Thanks still here. I was rated 30% HL and 10% tinitus in march 2012

That was based on an exam from Jul 2011.

My hearing has gotten worst.

I have a claim in for an increase since july 2013. Hopefully by July 2014 Ill be retested and then I will post those results.

I did however go spend my own money and have a licenced audioligist test me using the maryland standard.

Ill post those results and you can tell me what you think

Here's my hearing result from a private audioligist using the Maryland cnc standard.

June 2013

1000 L 20.......R 30

2000 L 85.......R 60

3000 L 80.......R 85

4000 L 70.......R 80

Best percentage of speech left is 44%

Best percentage of speech right is 64%

killemall

I have a claim in for DRO review at this time, claim was filed in June of 2010. Here are my results from the VA audiologist C & P completed in Apr of 2013.

1000 L 50 R 55

2000 L 65 R 70

3000 L 75 R 75

4000 L 75 R 75

Best word % L 64 R 72

It's been 3 and half years and still waiting, according to my calculations I should get 30% for HL.