VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Here Actually Rated More Than 0% For Hearing Loss?

Rate this question

ktm rider

Question

My wife was sick and tired of repeating herself so she insisted I go to the VA. It was no secret that my hearing was bad. Failed tests at work every year. I worked on the flight deck of a carrier from 88'.-92'. SO I went.

I did some research online and it seems that a vet rated higher then 0% for hearing loss is as rare as hens teeth.

I was actually denied for my hearing even though I show hearing loss within the VA criteria. It seems that My exit hearing test in 1992 showed no hearing loss..... I don't recall taking an exit test.

Has anyone here actually been successful in claiming hearing loss and got a rating higher than 0%?

• Answers 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

MY C&P from 1983 when I first filed for HL

right ear Left ear

500hz=35, 1,000= 60, 2000= 65 avg 53% 500=35, 1,000= 50, 2,000=55 avg 47%

In the remarks:

Bilateral sensorineural hearing loss, mild to severe on the right and mild to moderate on the left.

Still here can you post your results at 1000 2000 3000 4000 both left and right

1000hz=85 2000=70 3000=60 4000=65

the average decibel loss the left ear is 70

right ear is 105

speech discrimination left ear 52% right ear 0%

Which leads me to 70% hearing loss.

If you put my numbers from 83 they come up to a 40% so in actuality after my tests in 83 I changed my career totally and that and wearing hearing protection slowed the process of the deterioration substantially.

I would recommend that everyone with even a thought of hearing loss to have themselves checked sooner than later and follow the Hearing Association guidelines for keeping at least the hearing that you have.

Stillhere

Hollis and Stillhere

I don't know if either one of you have the bluetooth device that the VA has for your hearing aids but, that thing is a life saver for me. It lets you talk on your cell phone thru your hearing aids and you can listen to the TV as well. I can even mute the TV and still hear it. If I didn't have that blue tooth device I couldn't do my job. I am in the real estate business and that thing is great. I can't understand latin people or oriental people at all. I refer them to someone else

Hi boomer yeah I have the bluetooth but my hearing has gotten so bad that I get flustered trying to use it and have put it away. When I was working I really gave it a go but since retiring I find that I don't really need it that much.

Also if when I wore it I clicked it on to watch TV it made listening to my wife almost impossible! While I kind of like that! She would really tear into me!! Ha Ha!

Stillhere

I GUESS I need to ask for the blue tooth thing for my aids. All I have are the aids over the ears, no volume control or anything else on them.