VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Thinking About Filing For Tdiu

Rate this question

Penelope

Question

I think I have posted this is the wrong place, so I am re-posting it here.

I am trying to figure out whether I should apply for Permanent and Total and Unemployablity and when I should do that. Your thoughts are appreciated. I was rated at 60% for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome in 1994. At the time of the rating, the decision states that "extra scheduler evaluation is not necessary". They had also considered granting a 100% rating. I also had other medical conditions mentioned in the decision. In 2012, I was unable to continue working due to increasing medical issues. On my doctor's advice, I retired. It was not a medical retirement, I had my time in and was eligible. I also filed for Social Security Disability. The hearing decision has not come back, yet. I don't understand what is meant by extra scheduler evaluation not necessary." After thinking about the last statement, I think they didn't consider because they didn't have to as I was still working. I think I need to wait until 2015 to file the claim so that my 60% rating is protected. Is this correct? Thanks for your thoughts.

Paul -- Thank you very much for your thoughts. I am going to wait to file until 2015. I am gathering my support evidence at this time. I will see a mental health professional and will have my personal doctor write a letter on my behalf. My family doctor is the one that helped me obtain my original service connection and he is the one that recommended that I stop working. He knows me best and I think its important to submit what he says. I have all the documentation from work gathered (accommodations and letters back and forth where they don't want to accommodate me anymore). I have all the pay stubs which show the amount of time off of work that I missed. I don't think a letter from them is going to be possible because once you leave federal employment they don't keep your files there. Like VA, most don't want to write letters or get involved. I have to request copies of my claim file, my medical files, and my ssdi file. I am sure that will take a while. Plenty to do for the rest of the year. Also, I want to see about finding a lawyer to do this. It took me almost 8 years to get my service connection and the appropriate award. I know this is going to be a fight and I am not really looking forward to it. Thanks again for your comments.

Ok, I have a question. I have looked all over my SSD paperwork to find out when I am to be re evaluated. I can't find anything. It just says I have been approved for SSD. It doesn't list the conditions that they decided made me disabled. How can I find this information out? Call SS?

It should be written up in the decision. I think it also depends on whether you had to have a hearing or not. I had a hearing. The first part told of my medical problems. In the judges decision he listed them again and his reasons. Hope this helps.

No, did not have a hearing. I submitted the application online, received some paperwork from SSA, my employer and my VA docs received some paperwork from SSA. It was approved in like 3 months.

If you got a written decision, it should be in there. My understanding, as limited as it is, is that you need to get a copy of your SSDI file and send it along with the application form. It should be in there. I am sorry I can't be of more help. I am just trying to figure out how to go about all this myself. I am sure there are experienced people on here that can provide more information than I can.. Good luck to you.