VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What To Do If Currently Employed And Not Doing Well At Work?

Rate this question

vet201060

Question

I am 80% and might be able to get federal disability retirement. I am only 35 years old. I make over $100,000 a year but I dont think I can keep it up. Does anyone know what all my options are for disability and the amounts possible. I have a few claims I would like to reopen also. I am afraid I could lose what I have for no good reason at all. Has anyone else been in my shoes? Any advice on who I can go see to seek help with my claims. VA just does not get it somehow. Thanks!

I am doing what I can to stay with it. My employer is bending over backwards to keep me also. I am just concerned about the VAMC taking care of my back pain issues now. Why is it always a fight to get things taken care of at the VAMC! They wanna stop the pain med that I have been on for 4 years because the psychiatrist doesn't believe I have any issues. They dont know how to find my MRI and have ordered my primary doctor, which is contracted by VA, to stop prescribing me pain meds for my back. He has ordered another MRI and tells me his hands are tied until we get a new MRI which could take forever since it has to come from VAMC. I am surprised some of these jerks haven't been shot up yet!

I am currently undergoing the federal disability retirement process.

Im a federal police officer. My hearing loss got so bad that Im having a very hard time working.

I went to occupational health and did hearing test. The audiologist is going to write up paperwork for me next week to help me disability retire.

Basically. The process takes 5 to 10 months. If approved you receive 60% of your high 3 year pay average the first year and then the the second year you receive 40% for the rest of your life.

So youd get 60k the first year and then 40k a year there after.

You can get another hob and still receive your retirement pay as long as the new job dosent pay over 80% of what your federal job paid.

Basically you could have that 40k a year and safely get a 60k a year job doing somthing less harsh on your disabilities.

Or take your 40k yearly and show the VA how you were disability retired due to SC disabilities. You will likely get TDIU at 100% . This correlates to 40k a year.

40 + 40 is 80k a year.

Then you can turn in your fdc and tdiu paperwork to SSDI. Due to your FDC your SSDI will be at a reduced rate. However you will still receive around 12k a year if my math is right and memory serves.

40+40+12=92k a year.

Id suggest putting in for FDC and get the ball rolling

Thanks for the info and I hope everything works out for you too. The VA is wanting to put my in-patient for up to 8 weeks so I am sure I wont get paid from work. I would lose income because I dont have enough leave to cover 8 weeks. I am also looking at a surgery for my back. I will know more after my MRI for my back and xrays for my knees. It sucks having a disability that cant be seen. Most people dont understand whats wrong and are prejudice me missing so much work. I have been in-patient twice this year alone. The meds are not working and still having trouble with concentrating and anxiety.

• Founder

I have a few buds in High Rankings with the VA and they told me that over 50% of Claim backlogs are for Vietnam vets. All vets deserve %s for Service disabilities, but my friends told me that since the VA opened the Flood Gates on Vietnam Vets, the amount of False claims are half of the legitimate claims. Its hard to feel for guys in the Disability line with cuts, bruises and sprains trying to get money, and guys like me that get retired at 30 from the Military after 5 tours because I am used goods, and now I have to fight for my %s when the Military was the one that gave me the boot. I just resigned in October as an Agent with the state Tracking Violent Sex Offenders and you would be surprised how many of those guys in Jail or in Halfway Houses were getting 100% and not a darn thing was wrong with most of them. Sorry I rambled on guys, but I am tired of the looks I get when I park in Handicap space, and people look at me expecting my body to be blown apart because they don't understand how a young man gets disabled. God bless all.

Unsubstantiated claims that 50% of Vietnam Veterans claims are false does not serve our brothers and sisters.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Tbird. If a person has relationships with VA rating people, they are telling the mindset at the RO.

Granted there are fraudulent vets out there, Any time ther eis money involved, Some folks will cheat to get it. Its not commonplace, but it is a reality. It not only goes for VA disability. It goes for SSA, VA, even fishing tournaments.

And saying that 50 percent of the Vietnam Vets are cheaters is totally bull.

J

navy04, I am a 100% P&T rated veterans with DV plates on one of my cars, and I also get some looks sometimes when I park in Disables parking, but when they see that I'm retired from the Military the majority of them come and shake my hand and thanked for my service. Honestly most of the time I do not park in the disable space, and i walk, unless I'm having a bad day. So don't feel bad about walking or parking in a disable space. You earned it.

Sit and watch the Handicapped spaces for a while. After you see all the people with no sticker, and no apparent disability using them, you won't feel bad at all about using them.

OTH. It's always polite to leave the spaces for others. My wife has a disabled tag. I frequently drop her at the door and go park in a regular space.