VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

P&t Rating

Rate this question

flyfisher

Question

I am going to put in for P&T disability. Is it a good idea to get a lawyer to assist with this? Does someone have the contact information to a lawyer that helped them out with this same issue. I would like to get some names to contact.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You don't need a lawyer to get P&T. Just send a letter to the RO and request it. You should also have medical evidence that your condition is static. If you are TDIU how long have you been unemployable? If it has been at least a year and your medical records show you are stable but not getting better then you should be able to get Chapter 35 benefits which means you are P&T. This is what I did. I was granted TDIU but denied Chapter 35. I appealed and got an IME saying I was permanently disabled. Also, my VA medical records showed no improvement in my condition. I got Chapter 35 within a year. I was 52 years old and on SSDI so that probably helped. Now if you get denied for P&T then you can file a NOD and hire a lawyer. P&T is a benefit mostly for your dependents.

John has you going in the right direction! Why lawyer up now? if you are not working or in some places your employer is helping you get through the day. Get a letter from your employer to help and file. I never had to but I have heard of some folks having a very hard time with getting approved and staying in the homes and cars and stuff.

Make sure you can proof that working is not for you and file! SSDI would help like John said.

Stillhere

Hi Everyone,

First, thank you for your service.

I am rated 100% for PTSD but not P&T. I have a son in college and DEA bennies would be awesome. I have been 100% since 11/12, 70% for 10 years prior to that. I'm getting worse, not better, can't leave the house at this point. I saw the post that I can request P&T. How do I go about doing so? Thanks in advance.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just send a letter with your claim number on it to the VARO and ask them to grant you P&T based on the fact your condition is static. You may be able to use a letter from a shrink saying your condition is permanent.