VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Nearing Decision Phase But I'm Concerned

Rate this question

wpcoder

Question

I began a claim in August 2013, after going to the VAMC for the past 12 years from time to time for what they now call "anxiety and depression". I initially went to the VARO and they initiated a claim for "anxiety due to physical assault in basic training" and "back condition". Only on my second visit to the VARO did they provide me with Form 21-0781 for determining PTSD. The VAMC according to my medical records have never used the term "PTSD" in my file as of yet.

I have since gone to the DAV for representation, thanks in part to the great information on this website. I gave them my buddy statements to submit on my behalf since there was no documentation of the assault at the time.

I am concerned that as of today by file has been moved to the "Preparing for Decision" phase on eBenefits webpage. They estimate my claim to be complete between Jan 2014 - April 2014 - moving the window up one month from last week. That means my claim could be complete in less than six months total time.

I know I should be happy that it's not taking two years to complete, but this is almost too fast, maybe? They did the C&P for my back in October already (and have military documentation of a back condition on active duty), and I was not happy with the results when I read my records. I was unprepared and had not talked to the DAV yet, and didn't realize they rate your range of motion and not whether bending over causes you pain or not.

I have never done a C&P for PTSD or anxiety. Could they be using my medical records and buddy statements and not require a C&P? Or could that still happen?

I'm a bit naive on this whole process. I didn't even know there was such a thing as SC disability unless you got hurt in combat. Any help, thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

WP,

As Carlie stated it could be that you had enough to be receive a rating for Depression. Depression can be diagnosed fairly easily compared to PTSD. So hopefully you get a good rating for the Depression and your back. I filed my FDC in September and it has not moved, nor have I had a C&P. Good luck and hope you have an Early Christmas.

Even with depression they would need an exam to get an idea if the current complications. I've seen claims like distress for so get rated for 20% due to medication and then an at once exam ordered to find the current status. I've never seen that for depression. Not trying to be johnny rain cloud. I hope you get all your just deserved conditions. Again jmho

V/r

T8r

Edited by T8r

T8r,

U r right on the nose, but what is weird is that I have seen a lot of guys get good ratings for conditions by good raters. You take me, I never had a C&P for Migraines or Scars yet VA gave me 30% for each, stating member has well documented condition of Migraines and has been on Medications for Severe Headaches, then their answer for Scars was, due to over 10 major documented surgeries, member suffered more than 20 severe scars resulting in a SC% of 30%. So I have learned, that we really just don't know bud. We can do our homework, submit Docs as needed, and Pray, but in the end it depends on VA and hopefully a good Rater that knows their own Regulations.

Some news:

I got a call from a woman at the RO asking for my bank account number. My decision was made on my birthday a couple days ago.

That's the good news. She of course cannot tell me what my rating is over the phone, but I have a rating now for sure.

I was told not to have any expectations, to keep in mind that I can ask for a reconsideration, and that there are a number of resources that I can also look to for help. So, naturally I'm expecting something very low after hearing those words.

I'm not one to go to the doctor a lot, and she did say that they look at 'medical evidence' heavily.

I was told my retro payment should hit my bank by this time next week, and the monthly payments will follow each month thereafter. The deposit will likely happen before I receive the letter they said.

I'll be very anxious until I find out the decision. Trying to stay positive, while expecting the worst.