VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claim Nearing Decision Phase But I'm Concerned

Rate this question

wpcoder

Question

I began a claim in August 2013, after going to the VAMC for the past 12 years from time to time for what they now call "anxiety and depression". I initially went to the VARO and they initiated a claim for "anxiety due to physical assault in basic training" and "back condition". Only on my second visit to the VARO did they provide me with Form 21-0781 for determining PTSD. The VAMC according to my medical records have never used the term "PTSD" in my file as of yet.

I have since gone to the DAV for representation, thanks in part to the great information on this website. I gave them my buddy statements to submit on my behalf since there was no documentation of the assault at the time.

I am concerned that as of today by file has been moved to the "Preparing for Decision" phase on eBenefits webpage. They estimate my claim to be complete between Jan 2014 - April 2014 - moving the window up one month from last week. That means my claim could be complete in less than six months total time.

I know I should be happy that it's not taking two years to complete, but this is almost too fast, maybe? They did the C&P for my back in October already (and have military documentation of a back condition on active duty), and I was not happy with the results when I read my records. I was unprepared and had not talked to the DAV yet, and didn't realize they rate your range of motion and not whether bending over causes you pain or not.

I have never done a C&P for PTSD or anxiety. Could they be using my medical records and buddy statements and not require a C&P? Or could that still happen?

I'm a bit naive on this whole process. I didn't even know there was such a thing as SC disability unless you got hurt in combat. Any help, thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I had troubles filing for issues that resulted from an MST for years, it wasnt until i got my congressman involved that things started to happen. I think the higher ups thought i would just give rather than keep going, I refused to give up. My event happend in 1994, I didnt seek help until 2005 & the reason is that there was never any specific programs for MST victims. My ordeal was pretty big, involved a General Court Martial in Japan so there was plenty of evidence & paper trails, it was still a struggle to get rated. My advice is to keep going, find a good DAV rep and let them help you.

I have a good DAV rep helping me with a reconsideration request. I am meeting with my mental health doc in the next couple of weeks, whom I am hopeful will write a nexus letter. I'll post an update in case anyone is curious how this ordeal ends. Thanks for your input, everyone.

My ordeal happened in 1994, it wasnt even called an "MST", it wasnt until much later a title was actually given. Let me just say that it was not a quick process! I was initially rated at 10% for Anxiety which just made me furious, one for the crappy 10% & two, for not calling it PTSD. After several phone calles, visits, letters sent, I finally asked my Congressman to get involved-he made all of the difference in the world!!! I received a letter from the VA that said "we sympathize with you, but........", thats when i stopped reading and took other actions. I wanted to quote a line from Major Payne, telling them where they can find sympathy, "between shit and syphillus in the dictionary". Anyways, it took some time, but it finally worked out for me, i hope it does for you as well. Just don't stop, sometimes they bog you down w/paperwork and get you discouraged, don't let that get to you.