VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Missing Service Medical Records

Rate this question

donnieragsdale

Question

Can anyone make a suggestion on how I should proceed........

I finally got copies of my SMRs.

Wanted to file a claim for Feet and Back Injury sustained in April 1969. I have one IMO that states

"more likely than not" but have run into the following problem with my SMR.

My SMRs have no record of anything between when I got out of Basic Training in March 1868 until I

went to sick call due to back complaint in July 1969 at Naval Station San Diego where I

was sent for additional training from my duty station aboard a Destroyer. I had been aboard

the Destroyer all that time.....one year and 4 months.

A friend of mine sent me a copy of an entry to the ship's deck log in January 1969 showing another

injury I had sustained. That entry to the deck log identifies me, the injury and states that I was treated by medical personnel and returned to duty, but no entry in my medical record. I know I had follow up sick calls for the January 1969 injury. I know I had numerous follow up sick calls for the April 1969 injuries. What could have happened to these missing records?

Has anyone ever had a like problem with missing records and if so; what is my best way to address this?

Don

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I would-if I were you- send an SF 180 to the NARA-

You can send it on line, print out the bar coded thing, sign, copy and mail it in-

Ask for any and all SMRs they might have on you.

If you get SSA for disability-those SMRs might well be at the SSA in their files- however-

I bet if you look at your c file at the VARO or request a copy of it from them- more than likely those missing SMRs are possibly in it.

I got impression that you said the VA said there were only certain SMRs-

Maybe this is what NARA told you?

I NEVER believe the VA if they say SMRs are missing-I have seen too many 'missing" SMrs to believe them on that-

"The second injury, about a month after the first, involved about 10 of us and only three members, who were medical evacuated, are mentioned in the deck log entry"- do you have access to the ships Morning Reports?

For three to be medivaced and ten injured this had to be an event that they documented-