VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Hard Is It To Change Narrative On Discharge?

Rate this question

Shyne-I

Question

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew how hard it would be to change the narrative on your discharge after 19 years?? I was told at that time that my discharge would be "Hardship due to pregnancy", so when my DD214 stated Due to pregnancy, I assumed it was the same thing. I just found out that it was not because I was denied a certificate of eligibility for a home loan because I did not meet the 24 mos. rule.

Shyne-I

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

you can submit a DD FM 149 and request a change. There are a few reasons why they classified this as they did. Did you not have a family care plan? That is the biggest reason why this particular characterization.

If this is the case, I'm not sure you would have a chance at all with your discharge, but that's just my opinion.

Good luck though...

The 24 month law was passed for a reason but I failed to find why. If my memory would work I would know because I do remember when it passed. Anyone?

Not sure what you mean by narrative, if you just me to fight the law might be a tough battle.

Here is a link to a blog that discusses the 24 month service requirement hope this helps.

http://www.vanewsblog.com/2010/12/va-loans-and-the-24-month-rule/

Stillhere

Edited by stillhere

• HadIt.com Elder

After 15 years from discharge the BCMR will probably just deny you automatically. If you really want a shot at changing this you probably need a lawyer.

Thanks everyone for your response.

@meg- I did have a family care plan, but the situation changed. I had one child before I entered the service and my mother has guardianship over her when I went into the service. Just to tell a little bit about my situation, I was pregnant due to MST. I was 7 1/2 months pregnant with no where to stay besides the barracks, my mother could no longer care for my daughter because of her job so now I had to care for two children. I could no longer stay in the barracks, didn't have money to put them in child care and didn't have any where to stay, so I talk to a Chaplain about my situation. I went through the steps to get a hardship discharge due to pregnancy.

I was going to just submit the form DD 149 this week and just see what happens.

Shyne-I

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew how hard it would be to change the narrative on your discharge after 19 years?? I was told at that time that my discharge would be "Hardship due to pregnancy", so when my DD214 stated Due to pregnancy, I assumed it was the same thing. I just found out that it was not because I was denied a certificate of eligibility for a home loan because I did not meet the 24 mos. rule.

Shyne-I

I would file a NOD on that decision and request a DRO hearing, especially if you are now rated SC for that MST. Any decision by the VA can be appealed, including a certificate of eligibility denial.

pr