VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Claim

Rate this question

Kazdrummer

Question

Hi all,

I have a question regarding my eligibility (and chances at success) for a VA disability rating for OSA treated with cpap. My story is pretty simple. About 9 months after arriving at my first duty station my wife tells me I'm choking in my sleep. I was also fatigued which I just attributed to my crapy job. Shortly later I was diagnosed with OSA and prescribed cpap. I had no diagnosis prior to service of OSA. Fast forward 3 years to today and I am planning to separate in 7 months. I continue to use cpap which helps control my symptoms of daytime sleepiness and cognitive deficits. I was completely oblivious to the fact that the VA awards any disability for OSA treated with cpap till a coworker recently informed me I "hit the jackpot" with my diagnosis. Is this for real? Any pointers on the process would be appreciated. Thanks

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

A diagnosis of OSA in service with no pre existing OSA shiould net you a 50 percent rating with the use of a CPAP machine.

File the claim as soon as you are eligible to do so. Keep in mind that any severance monies you receive at separation will offset your VA compensation.

A 50 percent rating puts you into Priority group one so you would have no co pays for Meds and Treatment at the VA.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

Having OSA is not hitting the jackpot. However, you should be able to get 50% service connection. I have OSA and if that is hitting the jackpot I would hate to see what losing is for a vet. I have not had a good night's sleep in years.

Agreed... Jackpot is no accurate description. Try telling my wife the sexy darth vader mask i wear at night and the constant hum of the cpap machine is a jackpot to her. Appearantly some people think it is...or so I've been told.

I would have to agree. I would rather not be wearing the damn mask every night when i go to sleep and be less stressed wondering if one day I will not wake up the next morning.

Edited by arng11

One of my battle buddies got 50% for sleep apnea. It occured while in Iraq and 2 members of the unit and I did write letters with our observations of his condition that he submitted with his claim. He was treated by a civilian doctor when we got back and made the claim before the year after return was up. I would be getting medical documentation of the OSA and any other ailments in my posession before pulling the plug. They have a tendency to disappear.. Just saying....

Hamslice