VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sc Increase Request For Headaches, Qtc For Headaches And Ptsd

Rate this question

winddancer

Question

We submitted a claim to increase SC from 0% to 50% for headaches in May 2013. Currently rated at 70% PTSD, 10% seizure and 0% headaches with 100% TDIU as of February 2011. Also drawing SSDI since 1990. Vet has not been able to work at all since 1990 largely due to mental illness as well as daily headaches at some level since 1970. No mental hospitalizations to date, and no active therapy due to area availability. Should we be concerned about the re-evaluation as vet is static for PTSD, neither improving or getting worse in respect to healing. Vet just turned 63 in September of this year. Currently in consideration for IHD claim as well. Found out in October this year that he has had at least 5 heart attacks and has a complete arterial blockage with collateral arteriogenesis previously undiagnosed. Were not previously aware of any heart attacks although dx'd with CAD several years ago by VA doctors. This is all too confusing for my brain to absorb. Amvets VSO on board that has been awesome in assisting and explaining as best he can about the process but vets medical history incredibly complicated to sort out what we can do, should do, or must do to get him what he deserves. There are 32 different medical diagnoses so far and counting with countless tests and labs that are all over the chart for severity. Nightmare trying to figure out and sort out which dx are relevant, which are severe enough for compensatory attention and which ones to leave as "sleepers" for back up if needed. Sorry for the rant but any advice or explanations at this point are more than welcomed because vet is not capable of explaining and I am somewhat overwhelmed in trying to help him with paperwork end. Thank you guys in advance for all you do and the prices paid for our freedoms, often taken for granted by the masses.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Unfortunately I sure jumped on this first:

"Found out in October this year that he has had at least 5 heart attacks and has a complete arterial blockage with collateral arteriogenesis previously undiagnosed. Were not previously aware of any heart attacks although dx'd with CAD several years ago by VA doctors.:

Was he a VA patient during all that time?

If this is a AO IHD claim, he also might have a basis for a Sec 1151 claim.

Berta yes he has been a VA patient since around 1986 when some of his health issues started appearing or at least shortly there after. Was granted 20% for seizure disorder initially in 1977 upon discharge because of a grand mal seizure that occurred in service, then reduced to 0% 2 yrs later and now back up to 10%. Dx'd with COPD and CAD by VA and they cannot make up their minds whether he is a diabetic or not. Has a reoccurring GI bleed disorder, chronic high triglycerides, cholesterol, pre-hypertensive,hypercalcemia, daily headaches and PTSD to scratch the surface.Also has a chronic high white count but if the VA knows what is wrong, they aren't telling. They have him on so many medications that it is unreal, civilian doctor that has seen him from time to time in emergencies feels he is over medicated but doesnt feel safe removing any of them. He was exposed to AO shen he was stationed in Bien Hoa, Saigon and Long Binh in 1970-71 but has been told on numerous AO screenings that "we don't know why you are here." Have to ask what is a Sec 1151 claim? Can break his health issues down further if necessary. While still trying to put all the puzzle pieces in their respective places and feeling like a fish out of water as far as his claims, I am extensively familiar with his medical history since 1970. Will do my best to answer any question asked.

This link explains the collateral arteriogenesis:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12610665

“Should we be concerned about the re-evaluation as vet is static for PTSD, neither improving or getting worse in respect to healing. “

This concerns me:

“and no active therapy”.......

Does he have current treatment records and/or medication records ,or Vet center records, to show that he still has PTSD at the same level (if not higher)to justify his PTSD compensation

“they cannot make up their minds whether he is a diabetic or not.”

Geez, his Blood Chem work should reveal that and particularly his HBAIC values.If he has DMII ,he should claim that due to AO in Vietnam.

“He was exposed to AO shen he was stationed in Bien Hoa, Saigon and Long Binh in 1970-71 but has been told on numerous AO screenings that "we don't know why you are here. “

I have no idea what an AO screening is ( in the olden days it was called the AO Registry and it didnt mean anything as far as AO Comp went).

If a veteran has proof of incountry Vietnam Service ,during the War, on their DD 214, and claims any AO presumptive disease, they do not have to prove exposure to the AO.

“Have to ask what is a Sec 1151 claim? “

If the VA is negligent in proper timely diagnosis and treatment or with a complete lack of proper diagnosis and treatment, and their negligence has caused the veteran to have an additional disability, the veteran can claim the additional disability under 1151 and be compensated for it.

We have considerable info here under 1151 and FTCA forums on that type of claim.

As far as therapy.... his psych meds are constantly maintained... his primary is at a small CBOC that is overwhelmed with patients and the resident psychologist struggles to handle all local vets with therapy. As far as the DMII, whether he actually has diabetes depends on who you talk to, he has blood draws every two months and some of the A1Cs are elevated... some are not. We try to watch his daily levels, and again some are 130 and above, some are right around the expected norm of 110, and some are borderline low 70s and 80s. We have been told by quite a few doctors that he is a perplexing case cause he has all the symptoms of several different maladies such as the diabetes but when this or that test comes back, specific levels for this or that are within normal limits albeit sometimes it is to the high side of normal and sometimes the low side of normal depending on the test run at the time. I know that his situation is confusing to say the least because he is not "classic" stamped symptoms but as he does not drive for the last ten years I attend all doctor appts with him because his memory is shot and he will not, in most circumstances venture out without me so I have heard the confusion in numerous doctor's voices when he presents with these classic symptoms verified by the doctor and the doctor orders such and such test to confirm what he sees and comes up with benign results. He has been off and on seizure meds for over 20 yrs because one neurologist says epiletiform seizures, next time in the clinic and a different doctor... ptsd related seizures and takes him off the antiepileptics or a multitude of other named types of seizures. For almost 20 yrs the only consistent and constant care has been that there is no constant and consistent care. He has been on as high as 42 different pills a day for different issues accompanied by inhalants, sprays, ointments... you name it. The only meds that we can rely on working are his anti-psychotic meds that keep him tolerably docile most of the time and that is because they make him very tired and sleepy. Pain meds dont even dull much of the pain anymore so he becomes the irritable hateful unpredictable individual that everyone finds a means to totally avoid out of fear so he retreats to either sleep or hide from everyone. I have volumes of medical records to attest to what Ive told you as far fetched and crazy as all of this may sound and volumes more pages where I have researched every potential malady that doctors have suggested might be a culprit for his physical status desperately trying to find a key... any key to unlock what is really going on with him physically to put an end to this nightmare for him and let some puzzle pieces fall into place so he will feel better because I love him and miss the real him. There is enough of any particular issue to raise an eyebrow for a doctor but more often than not he ends up scratching his head cause test results arent as strong as they should be or all symptoms are present... only they have presented backwards from the "norm." I can only attest to what I know of his medical history and the countless 911 calls because of no bp, respiration or heart rate, syncoptic episodes similar to strokes, and evidentiary pools of dark blood on clothing and in toilets, and the reams of tests and labs and extended hospital stays til this or that returns to normal levels. I really am not trying to confound anyone because I know too well how absolutely confusing and mind boggling his case is and if I seem to be rambling or repeating myself, I humbly apologize. Its just that I am scared to death that he is slipping away from me right before my eyes and there is absolutely nothing I can do to stop it, hell I cant even slow it down cause I dont know what it is in the first place. I have to ask myself do they really not know what is wrong with him? Or has all of this been a really thick smoke screen to keep from admitting what they know? Im grasping at straws and I feel so inadequate in what I feel like I should know. I will hush... Ive ranted enough.... but thank you for trying to help... God bless you for all you do...