VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

You Must View This!

WELL!! for once, there wont be a way they can rob me on this deal as I didnt retire. but it sucks that they are even considering taking from retirees. nothing is off the table it seems. Maybe Pakistan will give us a few million bucks back since we arent palying hide and go seek bin ladin anymore. they were sending money over there by the suitcase, now they claim were broke. Has anyone else noticed ALOT of newer bills in thier wallets,? I think they are printing money like crazy right now. even cash registers in stores. all the change is shiny. take notice, and u will see.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

63SEIRRA,

Not exactly................

The Ryan-Murray deal affects Chapter 71, Section 1401 of the United States Code, which deals with the pay of military retirees.

As the code is currently written, servicemembers can be eligible for early Chapter 61 retirement if it is determined that, due to a physical disability, that individual is no longer able to perform the duties of their office, grade, or rank. The individual must hold a disability rating of 30 percent or more according to Department of Defense standards, and the disability must be the proximate result of performing their duties during a time of war or national emergency.

Section 403 of the budget agreement amends section 1401a(b) of Title 10, U.S. Code, adding the “CPI minus one” percent provision, lowering the COLAs of disabled retirees.

Wounded servicemembers are entitled to Veterans Administration Disability Benefits, which remain unchanged by the budget deal. However, the change to Chapter 61 retirement could account for about 55 percent of a wounded service member’s disability pay, according to a Senate aide.

For example, a 28-year-old staff sergeant (an E-5 rank) who is forced to retire after 10 years would see approximately $50,000 in lost compensation over the next 40 years.

The above is from the free beacon,

Hamslice

Hamslice is correct. Another sad piece about the details and its affect on wounded warriors ran tonight on Megyn Kelly's show. It's just disgusting & disheartening to see.

The fact that the powers that be are doing this in the open with no shame at all, really makes me wonder how much pressure is being put on the VA in more discreet corridors, to deny claims to save money. It sure seems to be quite apparent that especially lately, claims are just being flat out denied, with hopes that veterans wont contest, without real merit to deny the claims much less try to give vets the benefit of the doubt. Strange thing is when the country was at its weakest during the chrysler bailouts, mortgage debacles, ect, they never attempted to seriously mess with veterans comps, but now, that the economy is on a supposed upturn, they are going after us.

Makes you wonder, if things arent really worse than they are saying. It seems to be SOP nowdays to just downplay, deny and lie and hope the problems fix themselves. Also, keep in mind, this could also be the beginning caveats to get the next government shutdown going, in the upcoming fiscal year.

We Veterans have no voice. Not the VFW, American Legion, Amvets, DVA and etc, etc... Not your Congressman (mine just drank the cool-aid today). We think we are big, but we are not. When I served, I was (and still are) proud that of the 3% of Americans that could serve, only 1% did, and I was one of those that did. So when there is 99% of Americans that have no skin (intentional) in the game. How do you get a fair shake. Most of us signed up because it was the right thing to do. The promises were there to make it sound like a good deal. You serve, we promise to take care of you. Now that I am old enough to pay attention, I learn that there are yearly fees for Tricare for Life. That was not what I was promised. I was promised it was free. You get the drift. This will get worse before it gets better. Every Veterans organization better be ON FIRE over this in the weeks to come or I am done with them too.

Merry Christmas,

Hamslice

I hear you loud and clear Hamslice. I have been let down by the DAV and I am quickly learning that many of the other "big" groups are nothing more than money making organizations that are more interrested in serving their own interests than the common vet. Yes, I know there are always exceptions and don't want to badmouth or lump everyone in that category. People will make their own decisions on what "group" they choose to align themselves with.

Senator Kay Hagen from NC claims to have voted for the "compromise agreement" only because she was contacted by an active duty General who claims the current sequestion takes away from supplying our deployed forces what they need to do their mission in Afghanistan. The whole "sequestion" cuts are a result of disfunctional govt not being able to pass a budget in the first place! So we have spent our way into massive national debt. Wouldn't it make more sense then to say that we cannot AFFORD to be in Afghanistan anymore and apply that $$ to our debt?? Then there's the million $$ parking garage that gets funding without question under this budget agreement but military retirees, wounded vets, etc. must have their promised COLA reduced?? Seems like we, as a Nation, need to re-examine our PRIORITIES. Despite the craziness of it all I am still proud to have served my Country but feel very let down.

Just my thoughts...not a political endorsement or condemnation of any political party.

LC