VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tricare For Life?

Rate this topic

Loosecannon

I am on TFL and Medicare and medicare is always primary and TFL is secondary. I will tell you have yet to pay out of pocket for any office visits. Since you are TDIU at 100% you can get all of your meds from the VA for free and that includes any private doc scripts. Your wife can go on ChampVA but, she will have to go to the VA for any med service. I personally like having the ability to get second opinions from outside the VA. For example, just recently I had some blood work done at the VA and my PSA almost doubled. I brought it up to my primary doc at the VA and she said, "oh that's OK it's well within normal" Well, I went to my private urologist and discussed it with him and he suggested I have a biopsy. Well I now have PC and it is the aggressive type. If I had listened to the VA doc who knows what would have happened down the road.

Yeah! a $100 is just that but peace of mind of being able to get second opinions is worth it.

Oh! by the way there is no monthly cost for TFL. I think your wife may have to pay for prime though. My wife and I are both over 65 so we pay nothing for TFL. And now I have to submit another claim for the prostrate cancer.

Edited by boomer2

Wow...thank you all so much for the insight and valuable info!! Much to consider but happy to hear from people who have "been there...done that" as the old saying goes. It is because of you that I can now make a much better informed decision. You guys rock!!!

LC

• HadIt.com Elder

I would think you should at least apply for ChampVA for your spouse. As I said, I don't know anything about Tricare, except that I keep hearing it keeps costing more and you get less and less. I do feel Medicare "B" is worth the price. I also carry a Medicare and prescription supplement. I've never had a problem w/the VA medically, except they don't test for things they should test for. I'm 68yo, w/diabetes II, left ventricular hypertrophy, hypertension, alcohol history but the VA's never sent me to a cardiologist. All they care about is getting me on some type of "statin" and whether I ever smoked or if I want my butt scoped. Same stupid questions every freakin' visit!!!!!!!!!!!! I now see a cardiologist using my Medicare. Same goes for a urologist. The VA often buries their mistakes and I don't plan on being one, just to save a few dollars. jmo

Sorry I started to rant!

pr

No...PR, I don't consider your comments as ranting at all. In fact, I appreciate you sharing your experiences! As for my wife...I have never had a problem with Tricare Prime. The only thing difficult is at times getting her referrals for specialized care docs. She had cervical cancer at a young age, during surgery they took too many lymph nodes out, and the result is that she now has lymphadema in her leg). But as far as I know, she doesn't qualify for CHAMPVA, only Tricare. I'll re-visit to see if I misread something.

Thanks for your replies. I wish you the best this holiday season!

LC

• HadIt.com Elder

No...PR, I don't consider your comments as ranting at all. In fact, I appreciate you sharing your experiences! As for my wife...I have never had a problem with Tricare Prime. The only thing difficult is at times getting her referrals for specialized care docs. She had cervical cancer at a young age, during surgery they took too many lymph nodes out, and the result is that she now has lymphadema in her leg). But as far as I know, she doesn't qualify for CHAMPVA, only Tricare. I'll re-visit to see if I misread something.

Thanks for your replies. I wish you the best this holiday season!

LC

If you're TDIU and P&T she should be eligible for ChampVA, unless there's something I don't know. ChampVA doesn't cost anything and at 65yo picks up the copayment on Medicare. She(no age limit) and any dependent children(under age 26) should also be eligible for Chap 35 educational benefits, if she/they're interested.

pr

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I would never use just the VA for my care, unless I didn't care whether I lived or died.

Probably some of the best advice ever