Announcements

• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
scythis

Dav Lifetime Membership Worth It?

Question

Hi all, I couldn't find an answer to this anywhere, so I'm posting this topic. Sorry if I've repeated some other post.

I'm wondering whether the lifetime membership at the DAV is worth the $250. Do they:

1) Give you better representation

2) Work harder for you

3) Give you any other benefits besides discounts

I'm a 70% SC with IU at 100%. I might want to start working. In that case, I want to be sure that the DAV fights for me to retain my 70% SC.

Thanks,

Scythis

Being a member makes no difference in how they/any prosecute/defend your claim. I joined yrs ago and wish I hadn't. I consider most VSOrgs as a waste of money, however I found out too late. I feel you are best to do your own claim, as most do absolutely nothing, except maybe submit the forms and the VA will help you fill those out.

I'm a Life member of VVA, VFW and the DAV. I wish I'd saved my money. I used to think the VVA was good, until I attended one of their seminars for VSO's. It was sad.

The management of most VSOrgs are highly paid and basically political positions. Save your money and spend some on the VBM, about $158, postpaid, instead. jmo

pr

I agree with PR. The DAV I joined was mostly self serving using their income to buy stuff and trips for members who went to meetings.

unless they are working feverishly behind the scenes, and fighting at higher levels to get vets what they have earned, I just havent seen or heard, or experienced results that make me confident in them. They are quick to tell you how good they are,. , but show you is what I want to see.

save that money for a good printer, ink and paper and postage for delivery confirmation. Study the 38 cfr, listen to opinions on here, study BOARD of APPEALS cases that have been adjudicated in the past, and gather evidence, then do battle. it is a hostile enviorment in sheeps clothing you are against.

Edited by 63SIERRA

I totally agree with the previous posts! My VSO doesn't return calls or mails going on months despite many efforts. I can understand being busy for a few days helping others or even some personal issue they may be attending to but there really isn't a good reason why it drags on for weeks in my book. Didn't even bother to call to tell me when my claim came back approved or if there was anything wrong with the VA's decision. I don't feel I could recommend them as a VSO. I base this on my experiences of giving them "the benefit of doubt" but they have proven to be unresponsive at best. Wish I could've saved the $$ I spent on a lifetime membership...just sayin'

LC

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By 63Charlie
      I just donated $50.00 from a Facebook link but I really wasn't aware(forgot) that the $50 donation would make me eligible to be a subscriber.
      Can my membership be changed so I can become a subscriber from this donation?
    • By OldJoe
      Got an unofficial notification from the DAV about my DRO appeal stating that they were giving me an earlier date for my tinnitus (that baffled me) and that they were granting me 40% for my back (degenerative arthritis).  My appeal was for secondary service connection for my knees, there was nothing about my knees in the "unofficial notification".
      So I went to the closest regional off and was finally seen.  They looked up the "official" notification (SOC) from the VA and it stated nothing about my back but stated that they had denied me my secondary claim on my knees stating that the Dr couldn't find anything to connect my claim to either my back or the service (um, always thought knees went when back went, so secondary was almost a given, then again he did specialize in cardiology).
      In someways I am not that surprised, but I am wondering about the "unofficial" notice both the "unofficial" and "official" where dated the same (July 5th) I cannot believe in a matter of a few moments the VA totally changed their decision.  So that has got me flummoxed.
      What makes this unique is that if the 40% for my back was based on the one medical entry that they didn't use for my initial claim back in 95/96.  I was never able to get anybody to write me a nexus letter for this so I could "officially" reopen the case.  If the "unofficial" letter holds true and I am just waiting on other paperwork to be finalized then they have all but argued CUE and handed me a win without even trying (I know the VA will never give up that easily).  The entry stated scoliosis and that it was a recurring issue, their determination was based on an earlier entry and stated in black and white they could not find any other entries.  Can you say "gotchya"?
      Getting a letter now for my knees should be easier since I have some indication that the VA does ("did") give some indication that they felt that my evidence did indicate connection to the service concerning my back.
      Can anyone possibly clue me into what might be going on?  Did the DAV totally get it wrong?  Or, is this just part of the whole overall process and I am only seeing part of it?
    • By Victor Ray
      DAV told me there is no expediting claims anymore even for Vietnam Vets. Only terminally ill vets, homeless, or going to be homeless are expedited, so it took DAV 5 months to get my claim into the system because they trashed it the first time because they are a corrupt organization.
      Mr. Edwards in St. Louis for DAV got Mr Stephen Kelly his 12 years of retro pay in one week without even filing a claim, the way I read it. Dan Knabe For DAV got Mike Franko’s claim “Expedited” after he had been denied once already, also got him service Connected, got his retro pay, and got him a job with DAV as well. There was no mention of homelessness, or illness besides ptsd and knee injury. 
      Mr Kelly was just before me and Mr Franks was just after me and none of us fit the requirements except Mr Kelly and myself were Vietnam vets, and Mr. Kelly and Franko were Gulf War Vets, as best as I remember. I was permanently damaged by something affecting my entire internal body and skin(AO), and records hidden all my life. Edwards and Knabe got their clients records, scoured through them, and completed and closed the claim in one week. 
      The VA is still withholding my records, I have used a VSO (now VFW) for the last four years, and still waiting. VFW told me it would be at least 3 or 4 years before the BVA gets to mine. Minimum 3 to 4 years, and I probably won’t even exist by then. 
      This sounds like picking and choosing who is expedited, which is nepotism or being prejudiced against my claim. I filed in 1983 because the Army lied about my records in 1972 or I would have filed then. Total manipulation to keep me from Justice per Exemption 5 of FOIA. Any recourse? Is a malpractice suit the only recourse, unless they make it right with this last attempt? Thank you!
      victor ray
    • By VETOVET
      Please, welcome new VET2VET podcast episode:
      https://youtu.be/waV5t0HPtbM
      Today we are joined by Thomas Wendel, DAV National area supervisor for West Cost Region.
      Thomas E. Wendel served in the U. S. Marine Corps from 1983 until 1997.
      Since 1999, Tom has worked assisting veterans in processing various entitlement claims on the local, state and federal levels; first in Clare County as a county service officer and then when he came to work for the Disabled American Veterans in 2000. In 2008 he was promoted to the position of supervisor of the DAV Service Office in Detroit and later he was promoted to the position of supervisor of the DAV National area for West Cost Region.
      DAV is America’s largest, most effective veterans service organizations dedicated to the needs of those injured, ill or wounded in service. We have more than 1,300 Chapters in communities nationwide to help make sure veterans from all generations and their families get the benefits and support they deserve. Today, nearly 1.3 million veterans belong to DAV, and we encourage you to add your voice to the cause. Our programs and free services help all veterans get the health, disability and financial benefits they earned. Take advantage of our benefits claims assistance, medical transportation and employment resources. Your local DAV Chapter is a great way to connect with fellow veterans in your area.
      ★ JOIN US IN OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU AND OUR FELLOW VETERANS ★
      ▶ facebook.com/VETOVET2
      ▶ itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/vet2vet/id1077206523?mt=2
      ▶ twitter.com/VETOVET2
      ▶ youtube.com/c/VETOVET2
      ▶ plus.google.com/u/0/+VETOVET2
      ▶ goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Iiqawbuzg7eviiyqm6xz7kju62m?t%3DVET2VET
      ▶ feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:198832065/sounds.rss
      ▶ soundcloud.com/vet2vet
      ▶ stitcher.com/s?fid=80842&refid=stpr

★ LIMITED LIABILITY CLAUSE ★

THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH THE VET2VET MAY INCLUDE INACCURACIES OR ERRORS. CHANGES ARE PERIODICALLY ADDED TO THE INFORMATION HEREIN. VET2VET MAY MAKE IMPROVEMENTS AND/OR CHANGES OF THE CONTENT AT ANY TIME. ADVICE RECEIVED VIA VET2VET SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON FOR PERSONAL, MEDICAL, LEGAL OR FINANCIAL DECISIONS AND YOU SHOULD CONSULT AN APPROPRIATE PROFESSIONAL FOR SPECIFIC ADVICE TAILORED TO YOUR SITUATION.

IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ANY PORTION OF VET2VET, YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE CONSULTING VET2VET.

• By VETOVET
      Please, welcome new VET2VET podcast episode:
      https://youtu.be/9paX1-FyCaI

Today we’re talking about SERVICE CONNECTION.
      When we talk about service-connecting a medical condition, disease, injury or illness to military service, we are talking about proving the relationship between the two.
      1) Direct Service Connection
      2) Service Connection by Aggravation
      3) Presumptive Service Connection
      4) Secondary Service Connection
      5) Service Connection due to Injury Caused by Treatment in the VA Healthcare System
      6) Special Service Connection Rules for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
      ★ JOIN US IN OUR COMMITMENT TO YOU AND OUR FELLOW VETERANS ★
      ▶ facebook.com/VETOVET2
      ▶ itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/vet2vet/id1077206523?mt=2
      ▶ twitter.com/VETOVET2
      ▶ youtube.com/c/VETOVET2
      ▶ plus.google.com/u/0/+VETOVET2
      ▶ goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Iiqawbuzg7eviiyqm6xz7kju62m?t%3DVET2VET
      ▶ feeds.soundcloud.com/users/soundcloud:users:198832065/sounds.rss
      ▶ soundcloud.com/vet2vet
      ▶ stitcher.com/s?fid=80842&refid=stpr

★ LIMITED LIABILITY CLAUSE ★

THE INFORMATION AVAILABLE THROUGH THE VET2VET MAY INCLUDE INACCURACIES OR ERRORS. CHANGES ARE PERIODICALLY ADDED TO THE INFORMATION HEREIN. VET2VET MAY MAKE IMPROVEMENTS AND/OR CHANGES OF THE CONTENT AT ANY TIME. ADVICE RECEIVED VIA VET2VET SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON FOR PERSONAL, MEDICAL, LEGAL OR FINANCIAL DECISIONS AND YOU SHOULD CONSULT AN APPROPRIATE PROFESSIONAL FOR SPECIFIC ADVICE TAILORED TO YOUR SITUATION.

IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH ANY PORTION OF VET2VET, YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE CONSULTING VET2VET.

• Ads

• Our picks

• I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
    • This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
        • Thanks
      • 5 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 3 replies
    • Help HadIt.com stay online buy a subscription
      If you can afford it and want to help hadit.com consider buying a subscription this gives you as free viewing of the site and allows me to budget in subscription payments.

You can try it for 1 month for $5 or get a monthly subscription or a yearly subscription.

Subscribe here https://community.hadit.com/subscriptions/
      • 4 replies
    • VA has a special where we can ask questions TODAY, at 3:00 to "people that matter?"  Someone should ask why we can not ask them questions EVERY day, why today only? (This is a big problem with VA..the 800 number often does not give specific answers).  We should have people in VA who "solve Vets problems" like Allison Hickey did a few years ago. 
      • 8 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines