VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Clothing Allowance

Rate this question

Rich T

Question

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

GREAT Rich-

I hope others see this and check out the clothing allowance regs in 38 CFR.

Not much $$$ but that is a lot of Chinese food take outs! and it is a Victory!

Rich, where did you send the application to? I sent mine to the Administration of the Indianapolis VAMC. They still owe me for 2001 for Rigid Orthic Devices and I sent one in this year for back brace and also for the rigid orthic divece. I don't know which they paid but I received $641.00 today in my online bank. It is almost enough to pay for my wife's secondary medical insurance for a month. Every little bit counts.

Railroader

• HadIt.com Elder

My clthing allowance was on my bank account yesterday already. If I'm not mistaken a veteran must submit the application for clothing allowance before July 31rst to receive it for that year. I think you're suppose to send it to your nearest VAMC for consideration.

SS3.810 Clothing allowance.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section a veteran who has a service-connected disability, or a disability compensable under 38 U.S.C. 1151 as if it were service-connected, is entitled, upon application therefor, to an annual clothing allowance as specified in 38 U.S.C. 1162. The annual clothing allowance is payable in a lump sum, and the following eligibility criteria must also be satisfied:

(1) A VA examination or hospital or examination report from a facility specified in SS3.326© discloses that the veteran wears or uses certain prosthetic or orthopedic appliances which tend to wear or tear clothing (including a wheelchair) because of such disability and such disability is the loss or loss of use of a hand or foot compensable at a rate specified in SS3.350(a), (:D, ©, (d), of (f); or

(2) The Chief Medical Director or designee certifies that because of such disability a prosthetic or orthopedic appliance is worn or used which tends to wear or tear the veteran's clothing, or that because of the use of a physician-prescribed medication for a skin condition which is due to the service-connected disability irreparable damage is done to the veteran's outergarments. For the purposes of this paragraph "appliance" includes a wheelchair.

(:lol: Effective August 1, 1972, the initial lump sum clothing allowance is due and payable for veterans meeting the eligibility requirements of paragraph (a) of this section as of that date. Subsequent annual payments for those meeting the eligibility requirements of paragraphs (a) of this section will become due on the anniversary date thereafter, both as to initial claims and recurring payments under previously established entitlement.

© (1) Except as provided in paragraph ©(2) of this section, the application for clothing allowance must be filed within 1 year of the anniversary date (August 1) for which entitlement is initially established, otherwise, the application will be acceptable only to effect payment of the clothing allowance becoming due on any succeeding anniversary date for which entitlement is established, provided the application is filed within 1 year of such date. The 1-year period for filing application will include the anniversary date and terminate on July 31 of the following year.

(2) Where the initial determination of service connection for the qualifying disability is made subsequent to an anniversary date for which entitlement is established, the application for clothing allowance may be filed within 1 year from the date of notification to the veteran of such determination. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1162)

(d) If a veteran is incarcerated in a Federal, State, or local penal institution for a period of more than 60 days and is furnished clothing without charge by the institution, VA shall reduce the amount of the annual clothing allowance by 1/365th of the amount otherwise payable for each day the veteran was incarcerated during the 12-month period preceding the anniversary date for which entitlement is established. No reduction shall be made for the first 60 days of incarceration. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 5313A)

[37 FR 19134, Sept. 19, 1972, as amended at 39 FR 2362, Jan. 21, 1974; 49 FR 28242, July 11, 1984; 56 FR 5756, Feb. 13, 1991; 62 FR 35422, July 1, 1997]

Vike 17