VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anemia Denied

Rate this question

loveshell

Question

My claim was put in 2 months after being released from the vamc hospital after being inpatient for 5 days due to my iron deficiency anemia going to 7.3 hemoglobin levels , I was dizzy , shortness of breath , fatigued, and tachycardia. I could not even hold my head up. I received 2 blood transfusions my level was 9.8 when i left the hospital, I was anemic in the service but when I got my denial letter it said something funny.

" Service Connection denied because the medical record fails to show that this disability has been clinically diagnosed.

The evidence does not show a current diagnosed disability. Va examiner noted that your iron deficiency ( anemia) has resolved."

I'm so confused about what to do. I was in the vamc for 5 days and they had to raise my iron tablets to 3 times a day but it says I'm not diagnosed but its resolved. Can someone tell me what the va disability rater wants me to do next to prove my case.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Do you have an inservice documented diagnosis of the anemia?

"I was anemic in the service"

Did the VA list as evidence the VAMC hospitalization?

Did they also list as evidence your SMRs?

Here are the SC ratings for anemia:

How long after the hospitalization did the C & P exam occur:

." Va examiner noted that your iron deficiency ( anemia) has resolved."

Was that based on blood work done currently with the exam?

This is how VA rates anemia.

7700 Anemia, hypochromic-microcytic and megaloblastic, such as iron-deficiency and pernicious anemia:

Hemoglobin 5gm/100ml or less, with findings such as high output congestive heart failure or dyspnea at rest

Hemoglobin 7gm/100ml or less, with findings such as dyspnea on mild exertion, cardiomegaly, tachycardia (100 to 120 beats per minute) or syncope (three episodes in the last six months)

Hemoglobin 8gm/100ml or less, with findings such as weakness, easy fatigability, headaches, lightheadedness, or shortness of breath

Hemoglobin 10gm/100ml or less with findings such as weakness, easy fatigability or headaches

Hemoglobin 10gm/100ml or less, asymptomatic

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=c130ec487ea61b8a40ad0836188b94bc&rgn=div5&view=text&node=38:1.0.1.1.5&idno=38

Was the reason you stated here the only reason the VA denied you?

Edited by Berta

I would research your service treatment records and look for lab results (normally located on the left side of your jacket) look for low hemoglobin results, look for anything with a diagnosis of anemia.

Have your current hematologists write you a letter stating that you have had this condition for x number of years, then submit an NOD using the VA FM 21-0958.

I believe that you will prevail !