Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Deferred Ptsd And Parkinson's Need Input

Rate this question

shakeyswife

Question

DH was rated 10% hearing and 10% tinnitus, but VARO deferred PTSD and Parkinson's, so they are back to gathering evidence.

VA wants an exam for Parkinson's which is fine because symptoms have worsened since DBQ filled out in June by VA neurologist.

Already had a C&P for PTSD (looks to be 70%) Also filed for TDIU, but that may be moot.

So, besides them needing to rate PD, "the issue of compensation for PTSD and cognitive disorder due to Parkinson's disease is deferred for the following information: VA examination and to determine if and how much your Parkinson's related cognitive disorder is intertwined with your PTSD, Depressive disorder and sleep disorder."

Would it interfere with the claim date if we submitted statements in support of claim.

Also cognitive disorder appears more to be a brain disorder and not a mental health disorder.

I have learned from the site from many people here and thank you. When you first file a claim go for the kill shot. And thus far we have been successful. Any help on improving my statement in support of claim, we are also going to ask treating psychiatrist to fill out a statement in support of claim.

My statement: My unprofessional personal opinion.

1. I do believe that x's cognitive disorder is due to PD. His thought process has slowed (takes more time for him to figure out problems or what to do in many situations, his response time it not what it used to be), has difficulty multi-tasking (didn't in the past), becomes confused following conversations, etc. It is easy for me to notice because of our length of time together.

2. Both dx's of PTSD and PD contribute to Depressive disorder. Depressed that he has PTSD and so much difficulty in dealing with all the symptoms. Depressed that he has PD because he is losing his mobility and is in pain because of the rigidity.

3. Both dx's of PTSD and PD contribute to sleep disorder. If not awoken by a nightmare or even if awoken by a nightmare has trouble turning to try to find a comfortable position. Or if he wakes up to urinate has trouble getting into a comfortable position--simply put, has difficulties turning in bed because of PD!

I am not sure, because I guess that we would rather have the PTSD have more weight, because in the long run for PD that will end up being or should end up being 100% P&T. Would it be feasible to submit a statement in support of claim. I am sure who ever does the exam, would have a heck of time unless they just come up with BS, which we want to avoid. Thanks

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You can submit a statement in support of claim, at any time. I would avoid statements like "I do believe," unless that's your profession. Better to use "I observe or observed." The VA doesn't care about your or his opinion, unless you can be considered a professional in the field you are testifying about. jmo

pr

Thanks PR,

Changed the believe parts to observation.

Now I really hope that either his psychiatrist or psychologist will write a statement in support of claim. Actually his VA psychologist already had written one for the PTSD. I'm just not sure how they can intertwine cognitive disorder with PTSD.

"the issue of compensation for PTSD and cognitive disorder due to Parkinson's disease is deferred for the following information: VA examination and to determine if and how much your Parkinson's related cognitive disorder is intertwined with your PTSD, Depressive disorder and sleep disorder."

You are right.Parkinsons is a disability of the nerves, and PTSD is a disability of the emotions, due to stress.

. Either one could cause depression as well but the VA will only rate for one MH issues.

Is the stressor for the PTSD verified or has it been conceded yet by the VA,under the new PTSD criteria ?

I am assuming here that your husband is a Vietnam incountry veteran, and the Parkinsons is due to his AO exposure..?”

“ I'm just not sure how they can intertwine cognitive disorder with PTSD.”

Me either.

Cognitive disorders are rated as separate from PTSD.

Personal example...my husband had a cognitive disorder from brain damage from multiple TIAs and stroke.

He also had PTSD.

He was given 6 or more tests by a VA shrink ( after some BS and a battle)

to determine the level of cognitive disorder and to separate that from his PTSD.

Oddly enough those test results were missing from his med recs when the VA denied my claim for accrued benefits..(he died within a few months of that testing)

so I went over to the VA and asked the shrink for copies of the results and sent them in with my NOD.

As I recall they had ignored other evidence as well that I sent in again.... his SSA award solely for PTSD and Voc Rehab records etc and other stuff.)

The accrued claim for PTSD was awarded.

They raised him from 30% SC PTSD to 100% P & T.

The cognitive disorders were always rated as NSC until I won a 1151 CUE claim last year and they then were part of the 100% 1151 stroke award.

He had the 1151 stroke in 1992.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Thanks Berta,

Is the stressor for the PTSD verified or has it been conceded yet by the VA,under the new PTSD criteria ? I do not know, not sc yet; but psychologist wrote a statement in support of claim due to combat, and C&P examiner believes his PTSD is due to Vietnam.

I am assuming here that your husband is a Vietnam in country veteran, and the Parkinsons is due to his AO exposure..?” Yes, was a boatswain, hauled it on the boats as well as being sprayed on. Would it matter whether they decide this as presumptive or direct service connection?

I have learned much from your postings, and many others as well. My condolences for your loss of your husband, with his loss you have become a mentor to many members here because of your tenacity.

I do not know, not sc yet; but psychologist wrote a statement in support of claim due to combat, and C&P examiner believes his PTSD is due to Vietnam.

Unfortunately neither the psychologist nor the C & P examiner can give an eye witness account of his stressor and the statement is speculative.

"wrote a statement in support of claim due to combat" unless he has the PH, CAR or CIB on is DD 214.

I assume this PTSD claim will fall under the 2010 PTSD criteria here at hadit:

Yes, was a boatswain, hauled it on the boats as well as being sprayed on. Would it matter whether they decide this as presumptive or direct service connection?

That statement is problematic, as to his exposure.

Was he incountry, boots on the ground -(even one boot will do...I had a claim like that from a Navy vet-one boot on ground did it)

and can he prove that with his 201 Personnel file or buddy statements, etc?

And is his ship on the VA AO Ship's list within the proper dates?

Was he part of Mobile Riverine Force, Inshore Fire Support (ISF) or in one of these listed designations :

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/shiplist/index.asp#find

( These are Brown Water vets who have not had too many problems at all proving service in Vietnam for AO claims if they were on tributaries)

And/or is his ship on the VA AO Ship's list within the proper dates?

http://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/agentorange/shiplist/list.asp

This is the most updated VA AO ships list which certainly has grown because vets have given the VA enough evidence of exposure to AO that VA has conceded AO exposure to vets on these ships within the specific time frames in the link.

I am a member of Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Association:

http://www.bluewaternavy.org/

They have been very aggressive in trying to attain equity for all Blue Water Navy veterans who served in the Pacific durting the Vietnam war:

“The Blue Water Navy Vietnam Veterans Act was introduced to the House Floor by Rep. Chris Gibson (D-NY) along with 41 strongly bipartisan initial co-sponsors on February 6, 2013. This legislation will return the presumption of exposure to herbicide to Navy and Marine veterans who served in the off shore waters of Vietnam. HR-543 now replaces HR-3612, which was the number used by the previous 112th Congress. The wording is the same, but the new designating number is HR-543.

Their site has more info on BWN but maybe we can help more here too......

What was the name of his ship?

Where did it dock at to unload AO?

As far as I know (and I could be wrong) AO went to Vietnam by ship in the early days of 1965-66, and only to Saigon and Danang.The spraying was done by air and by hand, almost always over dense tropical jungle foliage in order to inhibit cover for the enemy ( many who were underground in the tunnels anyhow...)

There have been fairly recent reports (and 3 successful AO Okinawa claims) that it had been stored in Okinawa and I assume it got there by ship.

Was he ever stationed at Okinawa or on any other Island or Atoll in the South Pacific during the Vietnam War?

Did the VCAA letter he received raise any of these same points?

He certainly might well have been within the VA's AO Ship's list ….has he received anything from VA to confirm that?

If not ,best that he provides that info to VA himself with a copy of the page and hyperlink of the AO list himself with any other evidence tat denotes him being on the ship at the time and date the list requires.

Does he have a copy of his SMRs and 201 Personnel file?

Does the 201 include any destination and arrival info as well as the Ship's name?

Nothing is impossible with VA but I see some problem areas here that may in fact not be problematic at all, when we have more info .

Thank you for those very kind words.

The day Rod died he asked me to continue to help his brothers and sisters who served,with their VA claims.

Doing that has given me some meaning to his death. It was not in vain. He himself has helped MANY, even in his death.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Berta,

He was in the Army. (67-69) in Vietnam. While he was stationed in QuiNhon, and operated an LCM8, they would go out to the merchant marine ships in the bay and haul agent orange back to the beach where it was unloaded. His company was located next to the airfield in QuiNhon. The opposite side of the airfield was mountainous which was regularly sprayed to defoliate. Then he went TDY with Navy to DaNang. Operating an LCM8, which had 3 50 calibers there was always sniper fire or firefights on the rivers. Would go to Cuaviet, Hue, travel the Perfume River all to different drop of points for troops, fuet, etc. or there were also extraction points. He transported anything that needed to be transported including 2 1/2 tons filled with body bags, villagers whose villages had been destroyed, platoons to fight on the ground entering "hot areas", ammunition, full fuel bladders. They also had incoming rpg's especially during the TET Offensive.

The VCAA letter did not ask any questions or make any points.

We have absolutely no records

Unfortunately we do not have any of his records. Time will tell what they will rate.

Now that I got him all frazzled, cripes I just learned a little more. Glad he has an appointment today with psychiatrist.