Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Deferred Ptsd And Parkinson's Need Input

Rate this question

shakeyswife

Question

DH was rated 10% hearing and 10% tinnitus, but VARO deferred PTSD and Parkinson's, so they are back to gathering evidence.

VA wants an exam for Parkinson's which is fine because symptoms have worsened since DBQ filled out in June by VA neurologist.

Already had a C&P for PTSD (looks to be 70%) Also filed for TDIU, but that may be moot.

So, besides them needing to rate PD, "the issue of compensation for PTSD and cognitive disorder due to Parkinson's disease is deferred for the following information: VA examination and to determine if and how much your Parkinson's related cognitive disorder is intertwined with your PTSD, Depressive disorder and sleep disorder."

Would it interfere with the claim date if we submitted statements in support of claim.

Also cognitive disorder appears more to be a brain disorder and not a mental health disorder.

I have learned from the site from many people here and thank you. When you first file a claim go for the kill shot. And thus far we have been successful. Any help on improving my statement in support of claim, we are also going to ask treating psychiatrist to fill out a statement in support of claim.

My statement: My unprofessional personal opinion.

1. I do believe that x's cognitive disorder is due to PD. His thought process has slowed (takes more time for him to figure out problems or what to do in many situations, his response time it not what it used to be), has difficulty multi-tasking (didn't in the past), becomes confused following conversations, etc. It is easy for me to notice because of our length of time together.

2. Both dx's of PTSD and PD contribute to Depressive disorder. Depressed that he has PTSD and so much difficulty in dealing with all the symptoms. Depressed that he has PD because he is losing his mobility and is in pain because of the rigidity.

3. Both dx's of PTSD and PD contribute to sleep disorder. If not awoken by a nightmare or even if awoken by a nightmare has trouble turning to try to find a comfortable position. Or if he wakes up to urinate has trouble getting into a comfortable position--simply put, has difficulties turning in bed because of PD!

I am not sure, because I guess that we would rather have the PTSD have more weight, because in the long run for PD that will end up being or should end up being 100% P&T. Would it be feasible to submit a statement in support of claim. I am sure who ever does the exam, would have a heck of time unless they just come up with BS, which we want to avoid. Thanks

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Thank you Shakeywife!

If you posted that info before, I regret I missed it and I foresee NO problems whatsoever with his claims.

He was definitely exposed to AO and definitely has stressors...... and I am wondering if he has the PUC on his DD214.

(Presidential Unit Citation)

My husband was Danang 65-66 and found out months before he died that his Unit got the PUC.

Your description of your husband's service was similar in some respects to his.... USMC, 1st Amphibious Tracker Battalion.

Gee I was focused on boatswain, and thought Navy....DUH!

When you said Perfume River and Tet and Hue, I realized how stupid I had been in my post.

http://www.mrfa2.org/armylist.htm

This site prepared by Mike Harris, a hadit member ,has the descriptions and listings for all Vietnam ribbons and medals.

Four of them to include the PUC were not on my husband's DD214 so he filled out a DD 149

and fortunately the DD 215 and some of the decorations arrived before he died.

http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/infomgt/forms/eforms/dd0149.pdf

If your husband feels he might not have a DD 214 that reflects his ribbons and decorations properly he can fill this form out ( just put' not applicable 'in the Injustice part) and send it to the address denoted on the 2nd page of the form.

There certainly might be enough on his DD214 to concede his stress and the VA should also award for Parkinsons due to AO.

I apologize for my error and need to look up boatswain so I dont do that again!

Many vets who served early into the Vietnam war didn't get proper DD 214s.

I bet the Mil still messes some of them up.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Well, we were able to get two statements in support of claim from both neurologist and psychiatrist. The VARO has still not set up a C&P exam for PD. But he just had another neurologist appt. on the 9th, and she stated his PD symptoms have progressed and increased medication (once again). Also on ebennies there was information that was requested 1/13/14 (do not know what because that part is blank) but also the information was received on the same day. I can only assume that it might have been the rater or someone requesting more information from the VAMC. Any ideas? I still do not know how they can rate a cognitive impairment either with PTSD or Parkinson's Disease. I have done some research and I have seen that they have rated cognitive impairment with PTSD and then there were appeals to rate it separately. It also appears that different VARO's rate Parkinsons Disease differently. What gets me, is that the PTSD claim was filed in Oct. 2012 and the Parkinson's Disease was file 06/13. I would think that they should have at least rated the PTSD claim and not deferred it because of Parkinson's Disease.

Any input? Thx.

So, besides them needing to rate PD, "the issue of compensation for PTSD and cognitive disorder due to Parkinson's disease is deferred for the following information: VA examination and to determine if and how much your Parkinson's related cognitive disorder is intertwined with your PTSD, Depressive disorder and sleep disorder."

Part of what Psych. wrote " Cognitive impairment is common among veterans with PTSD,, and depression, and sleep deprivation, and Parkinson's Disease, and it is not possible to attribute features of his cognitive impairment to one etiology or another without resorting to mere speculation."

This is part of what neurologist wrote "Likewise, all symptoms related to Parkinson's can and should be evaluated as part of Parkinson's Disease and not in the context of PTSD and depression as these are separate issues."

Cognitive impairment was checked off on the DBQ for Parkinson's, and nothing about it was stated in his claim for PTSD by anyone or any of MH doctors or C&P examiner, but yet they still want to figure out where and how to rate it.

Edited by shakeyswife