VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependant Disability Pay And Retroactive Pay?

Rate this question

jet2die4u

Question

Within the last year my disability rating was increased to 40%. Of course this amount allows dependents to be considered in the payment amount. After getting notice of the rate increase, I applied to be compensated for the new monthly amount with dependents. Its been about nine months and I haven't heard anything. I was married and had my family while I was on active duty. My main question is .... if the decision is made for recognize my dependents, will I receive any back pay for the dependents? Thank you very much for your help!

receiving the retro pay after a year or more is great, but it is uncalled for. I remember years ago when I first began this journey, a dependency claim, a claim for DIC would take around 30-45 days, mostly because those were taken care of by the VARO in your state. Now, (for example) you submit a claim for DIC for a widow/widower, that claim (no matter where your located) gets sent to Milwaukee, WI, once received, it goes in line and I've seen some of these DIC claims go 18 months. Again, its just wrong. Its bad enough the veteran has to fight but upon his/her passing, now the surviving spouse has to endure the same thing all over...

Consider it a savings for you till they send you the check.

Nope...can't persuade me that it's a savings in any way, shape or form. Been waiting on a LARGE retro check from the VA since October 2012...other vets have waited longer than I. If we owe somebody $$ in today's society and take that long to make restitution, we'd be looking at a lawsuit or worse.

Same ole' story, but I do like your positive attitude. Trouble is, most vets don't have the luxury to sit back & wait on a big fat VA check while creditors continue to knock at our door demanding THEIR money...just sayin'.

LC

I feel ya. I guess I look at it as there's nothing you can do but in this rare case atleaste you KNOW the money is coming at some point.

But mine was only 100 a month for my college daughter. I could imagine waiting on a claim for a wife and three kids under 18 plus another college child were I should be getting an extra 400 a month now for them but instead have to wait 13 months.

For some that 400 a month is the difference in survival. I see were your coming from

If anyone can provide additional information or advice I would appreciate it. My son graduated high school age 20 in 2013. In 2011 he was dropped without notice. I put in a claim May 2011 and it was approved March 2013 however, they withheld all my back pay since I am 50% and receive concurrent receipt. I have verified with the Navy Finance Center the VA received their audit with what the VA owes me. They accomplished this within one month. Even though the VA has all the information they will not release the funds because Indianapolis Regional Office says they are to backlogged. They can't even tell me when the funds will be released.

Now, my son is in college still living at home and I had submit another dependency claim so, here I go again and 2011 has yet to be completely resolved. What do I do? Help PLEASE!

Edited by jbevans2009

I am looking for any suggestions on how to speed up my review for dependency. I submitted my marriage license in Feb 2013. I resubmitted it on line in Feb 2014. I've called VA, and even contacted my congressional rep. I am in San Antonio. One would think I could just make a quick appointment or make a call. Advice?