VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependant Disability Pay And Retroactive Pay?

Rate this question

jet2die4u

Question

Within the last year my disability rating was increased to 40%. Of course this amount allows dependents to be considered in the payment amount. After getting notice of the rate increase, I applied to be compensated for the new monthly amount with dependents. Its been about nine months and I haven't heard anything. I was married and had my family while I was on active duty. My main question is .... if the decision is made for recognize my dependents, will I receive any back pay for the dependents? Thank you very much for your help!

I have been waiting for a year now about receiving back pay on 2 dependent claims which they keep telling me the same thing; the work load, and so on with the script.  A very large amount of money is at stake here with no complications.  Can some one tell me when they do send the money will it be by check or checking account?  Thank you    Leo USN E-2 Vietnam Vet

Edited by Leonard James Martin
E-2

There's National Non Rating teams to do Drill Pay and Dependency. Many on NNR are doing rating, i assume due to the recent increase in claims.

You can try to add through eBenefits, I think, and the system will just add them. (It's called 'RBPS' Rules Based Processing System) You can tell RBPS added it, as the award letter has the most generic of looks- example; the evidence will just say '__686c Dependency Form__' instead of the usual date and full form name typed by a VSR. And, well, it'll be done instantly!!!!

Absolutely ensure everything is squared away, or it'll be a 'RBPS reject'

Last, ensure:

1) Dependency is awarded back to your comp award effective date (if you filed 686c /674 etc w/i a year of your award- not just the date of file of the dependency form (Known as Sharp v Shenseki for the court precedent). Frequently missed!

2) There's also a year look back for an 'Event' (say birth of child, or beginning of semester) from Dependency file date.

for real last- Dependency forms are frequently filled out incorrectly- Authorizers will return them just for 'points', so double check every answer, and fill in sections even if it seems redundant or stupid.

I guess my input is more of a question than an answer... That being said I just filled out my dependency form for adding my veteran husband.   I receive my rating above 30% in June of 2016 but just now filed for dependent benifits first, because I didn't know I could get them because he was a veteran as well.  I was wondering if my date of marriage was many years before I filed a claim do I get backpay  from June of 2016 or from   When I did the claim.   Thank you for your time