VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Been Through A Tbi Exam?

Rate this question

NavyWife

Question

Has anyone filed a TBI claim? If so, can you discuss how they ask questions at the TBI exam? I am aware of the ECI table of questions. Specifically I would like to know if these questions are written down and the vet answers them himself OR If the doctor reads the questions off to the vet and then gives his own impression.

Also since so many things can be secondary to a TBI, does the doctor ask about these things and then try to get a separate exam scheduled. For example, tinnitus is known to be secondary to TBI. Does the doctor ask if you have symptoms of it and then let the rater know so you can be scheduled for a tinnitus exam?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I did this in 2009 if my dates are correct. They granted me 30% SC for TBI. As far as testing goes, I don't recall the specific questions unfortunately but I had memory testing, reading comprehension, math problems to solve, etc.

Many were timed tasks to see how many I could do and how accurate I was. The sad part was I thought I did well but after the tests were reviewed by the doc/nurse, she showed me where I did well and where I did poorly. I do remember these tests taking a full day and were done at a VA Medical Center.

Of course the results, my latest MRI, and service records, neurology doc reports, and buddy statements were all eventually evaluated by the VA prior to their granting me the 30%.

If I can think of anything else I will let you know. Hope I was of some assistance. Good luck to your husband & thanks for the sacrifices your family has made.

LC

These are the latest TBI regulations dated Dec 13, 2013

:

We have a lot of TBI info here at hadit

( and thanks to every hadit member who pushed for these regs at the Federal Register web site months ago. Our Fed reg comments are always read carefully by the VA along with comments from veteran's lawyers and vet org statements.)

TBI is often due to a stressor but not always.

A TBI from an IED explosion is certainly a stressor if claimed for a PTSD claim.

TBI is a physical disability (that can have emotional impact as well) but it is also a disability that VA cannot lump together with PTSD,if a veteran has PTSD either from a TBI stressor or from another type of inservice stressor.

VA has come a long way in understanding this “signature” war injury from OIF OEF participation.

I sure bet many many other vets (in Vietnam War for example) and even stateside injured vets had TBIs years ago that VA did not have the ability to recognize, treat, and rate properly.

Since these regulations are so new I dont know if the C & P worksheet or QTC exam sheets cover the new secondarys.

I will try to find them.

This is fantastic news that I wasn't aware of...Thanks Berta.

NavyWife - I see that you visited the TBI section of the Hadit website so I won't repeat what's already there. There's some great info posted there and like Berta's article said, positive changes are occurring as the research gets better.

LC