VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependecy Weird One...

Rate this question

FMFDoc77

Question

Okay I finally got a decesion letter or actually two for an 11 month old dependency claim to merely add back my daughter that was cut off from my benefits when she turned 18 back in January. She was still in high school and has since moved on to college.

The first decision letter was dated 11/15/13 and stated that she had been added back from 2/01/13 to 6/01/13-which was from the time she was cut off in January until the time she graduated high school.

The second decision letter was dated 12/19/13 stating she had been added back from 6/01/13 and ongoing. It also shows my new rate which was effective 2/01/13 up until present and ongoing.

My question is, I havent received any backpay, even from the first decision letter 46 days ago. They send me these decision letters stating my current rate and even my AB8 reflects what they say but I'm still being paid with no dependents (12/31/13). Furthermore, when inquiring into this via IRIS and sending in a fax to the RO as well, I now see on eBenefits they have opened up a new claim for me dated 12/23/13 titled "dependency - retro pay (New) with an estimated completion date of 3/26/14 to 6/12/14.

Can someone explain this to me? A new claim for retro pay? Shouldn't this be part of a completed claim when a decision is made and the decision letter is sent to you stating the effective dates and your current amount? So now I have to wait another possible six months for them to decide on retro pay? I am more than confused. My AB8 reflects I am being paid for my daughter as their decision letter shows but I am obviously still not and again, a new claim for retro pay, and a possible six months to do such?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

retro pay is not a new claim. This should of been handled when the claim was decided. I have seen veterans wait up to 1 year to receive their retro pay for dependency issues.

Now, they opened another claim because of the documents that you sent/faxed in. Another case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing.

I would recommend this, send in a VA FM 21-4138, attach a copy of your decision letters and write words to the effect of; I acknowledge receipt of your rating decisions dated xx-xx-xxxx and xx-xx-xxx. I am requesting that my retro pay be deposited into my account as soon as possible due to the findings of these rating decisions."

Can someone explain this to me? A new claim for retro pay? Shouldn't this be part of a completed claim when a decision is made and the decision letter is sent to you stating the effective dates and your current amount? So now I have to wait another possible six months for them to decide on retro pay? I am more than confused. My AB8 reflects I am being paid for my daughter as their decision letter shows but I am obviously still not and again, a new claim for retro pay, and a possible six months to do such?

Had the same thing happen. Claim completed and award letter in my favor in Aug 2012. VA opens new "non rating" claim so it doesn't add to their backlog numbers. Then...they get to it when they get to it. In my case it still has not moved from claim received status. The excuse is that they only assign a handful of people to work on non-rating claims while the bulk of their employees try to reduce the backlog. Last iris I got said they had 38,000 claims along with mine. It's absurd but hope you have better luck than me.

LC