VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dental For Spouse

Rate this question

red

Question

Does anyone know when the Dental program for the spouse of a 100% disabled vet will start and what will it consist of ?

I hope I am on the right place to post this and I did not cut someone else off. Thanks and Happy new year.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

I lost the info I had, but there is a CHAMPVA program for dental. Go to the CHAMPVA website and it will tell you. It was not worth the premium for us. There is a waiting period for major dental (crowns etc) and the premium was higher than local programs we could find. It was suppose to start Jan. 1 2014.

http://www.va.gov/HAC/forbeneficiaries/champva/champva.asp

The CHAMPVA site has a MetLife number to call and I quess they could tell you the premium amount and what it covers.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think there is an annual limit of around 1500 bucks. This will not even pay the cost of a root canal and a crown. You get a better deal from American dental plan which just directs you to dentists that give you a break on costs. If you get one implant that is about $3000 if you go to a qualified dentist and not some hack.

John

Jon:

Check out the links in jbasser's post, see what makes sense for your situation.

For most Vets, the Metlife High Option Plan makes sense:

- It has a $3000 per person annual limit

- NO waiting period for anything other than orthodontics.

- $3000 will pay your cost share for $6000 worth of major dental care.

- A network dentist will also have agreed to Metlife's fee reimbursment rate, meaning: your cost share for intermediate and major procedures will be for a fee significantly less than if you just walk in off the street. Also, if you exceed your yearly maximum, additional care will be billed to you at pre-negotiated network fees.

- Exams, xrays, and routine cleanings are covered at 100% and do not count against your yearly maximum per person.

- Emergency visit coverage, plus having a dentist who knows you and will accomodate you if you do have an emergency.

- A big benefit of a comprehensive dental insurance plan is to take full advantage of the preventive services offered: twice a year exam and cleaning, etc. Prevent major problems by ctaching them when they are not so severe.