VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sent In My Nod

Rate this question

Bevo

Question

Been a while, but I plan on coming back to hopefully give advice where I can and post updates.

After a 6 year appeal process, I finally won several service connections. Two, however were rated too low according to my reading of the VASRD and the evidence- right shoulder at 0%, should be 10% and cervical spine at 10% should be 20%. I sent in my NOD today and am hoping for the best.

I was also advised by multiple people to request an increase on my PTSD, currently at 10%. I meet the criteria for more based on symptoms but I stopped seeking treatment long ago. I waiting to request the increase until the appeal is over so as not to clog things up for myself and am somewhat apprehensive I will get rated down to 0% since I am not being treated.

Anyhow, I apologize for disappearing. I plan to be back to help others. I was just pretty stressed out with the entire process and needed a break.

The good news is I paid down a lot, but not all of my debt with what I got and qualified for a new house. This is great news with a second kid on the way.

So far I am 6 wins, 1 loss in appeals to the VA. Just 1 of these appeals winning is over $12k more in back pay. Last time I appealed, it took the RO no time to re-deny it and then about 4 years to get to the BVA. I hope I did a better job this time and the RO will bump at least one of the two up by 10%.

5 answers to this question

I sure am glad you had some success and filed the NOD.

“but I stopped seeking treatment long ago”

This ,in my opinion, will be a big problem in proving to VA that your PTSD has gotten worse and should be rated higher.

This sure is great news:

“The good news is I paid down a lot, but not all of my debt with what I got and qualified for a new house. This is great news with a second kid on the way.”

Bevo ,the VA justifies their ratings with ongoing treatment records.

They will consider an increase in PTSD meds as showing an increase in disabling PTSD symptoms,

lay statements, Voc Rehab problems, etc etc ….'BUT consideration however does not match actual documented treatment records. The best thing any vet can do is have a documented paper trail of treatment for PTSD.....or any SC they have either from the VA or from a private doctor.

Their rationale makes sense.

I am not inferring that your PTSD has not gotten worse...but if we have a SC disability, but don't continue to get treatment for it, VA could question if we even have the disability.

As much as I gripe about the VA claims process,they do provide excellent help for dealing with PTSD and since others have noticed an increase in your symptoms ,and with the new baby coming, you sure might want to consider getting some PTSD help from the VA.

Berta,

I agree with you on this. After I retired last year, I did not want anything to do with treatment or the VA. My VSO said to continue treatment, so I go to the VA weekly for Trauma treatment and Medications. I don't like to go there and in fact I think it makes my PTSD worse at times, but we need to always be in the loop with the VA, so they don't low ball us in the long run.

Excellent advice from Berta!

(Tried to "like" your post but already reached my max quota today.)

Congrats on the new baby on the way Bevo...Hope to get valuable advice from you in future postings.

LC