VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Brace Removal Mandatory?

Rate this question

K9MAL

Question

I have a Gulf War and several other C&P exams tomorrow for increases on existing SC disabilities. Currently I wear a Don Joy knee brace and an Arizona (AFO) ankle brace, both are service connected.

Since I'm asking for increases on both the knee and ankle will I be required to remove the braces for ROM testing? Due to flexibility and ROM in various body parts it's very difficult to get these on and off by myself so I'm wondering will the Doc help, a nurse, or do I need to bring my spouse to suit me up afterwards?

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

6 answers to this question

I would think you would have to remove them. It may be painful or difficult, but ask them for help. You will be fine, keep us posted. I am going to see the Back Dr tomorrow too.

Thanks Navy. I'll definitely need to ask them for help. I guess I'm just anxious about everything…

I had a Gulf War C&P about 6 months ago and the Doc was the biggest a*hole you can imagine. I've never been spoken to in the manner he did and he was the most unprofessional jerk I've ever met. If it'd been a few years ago and I was feeling better it wouldn't have ended well at all… Couple that with a completely inaccurate report when all was said and done.

I would bring your spouse or GF with you if you can. (witness) .. The CP exam is supposed to be impartial, and fair. If the doc is a Jackass, I would notify the va, and request a cp from a different doctor who has some sense. You can also make a complaint to VES who contracts these doctors to perform the exams. They get QC ed and complaints against them for things like rudeness , mistakes, ect, weigh against them. I had a CP doc goof up an exam royally, I notified the va and got a copy of his report. I spotted errors such as scar measurements. the fact that he never even asked if the scar was painful, ect. It caused an initial denial/ They have since sent me to a new CP doc, and I told them dont ever scedule me for another appt with the previous ding a ling. and they havent.

Trust you gut instincts. The second CP doc I went to, was very nice, vet friendly and we talked for quite a while in a relaxed astmosphere like we were old friends. He even told me the the doc that I complained abt, is odd, and doesnt like other docs in his office. and doesnt speak to them. He is also a germophobe and diesnt shake hands, or like to touch patient. FINE FREAKIN DOCTOR HE IS !! He smiles in your face, but stabs you in the ass when you leave with his bullshit cp exam.

Edited by 63SIERRA

also when doing range of motion tests, dont piut yourself in un needed pain. If you no the motion will cause you pain, stop the movement, wince and say I cant go no further that hurts like hell. If you bend and touch your toes, but it hurts like a hot poker in your back, you know what will be in the report.?? patient was able to easily bend and touch his toes. WITH NO MENTION OF PAIN IN YOUR BACK/.

SO dont bend to a pain threshold. When he tells you to bend over, just poke your arse out a bit, and say, THATS ALL FOLKS.

Just like bugs bunny says. THATS ALL FOLKS!!!post-15327-0-52362000-1389246889_thumb.j

Edited by 63SIERRA

Thanks for the helpful advice. My C&P Doc was great today! He was friendly, cordial and seemed to genuinely care.

He also helped me remove and replace my Arizona brace and Don Joy knee brace due to my shoulder injury. He said that's the first time in 6 years of doing C&P's that he's had to help dress one of his patients. :)

I hope his report matches my appointment… If so, things should go well with the raters I believe.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Wow, that seems like you got lucky. Some docs are great. The VA needs more docs who are genuinely good to their patients. I hope your results are positive!