VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help! Bipolar Claim Denied Solely On Genetics

Rate this question

bluevet

Question

My C&P doctor gave me a gaf of 53, but he denied service connection and his only reasoning was that bipolar disorder is a genetic condition. This makes no sense since many vets are receiving benefits for this illness. I was chaptered out of the Army with a personality disorder, but I have since been diagnosed with bipolar by 3 different doctors, including the C&P doctor who acknowledges in the report that the Army doctor had diagnosed "personality disorder", He then concurred with the bipolar diagnosis and stated that no other mental illness exists. How can they deny me based solely on this doctor's opinion that bipolar disorder is genetic? I need to find a vet friendly psychiatrist or psychologist to review my records and right a letter. Does anyone know of someone they can recommend? Please private message me if you can recommend someone. Thanks!

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks Carlie,

The rationale is on the denial letter that I posted and I also posted the complete direct quote of the rationale from the DBQ.

blue,

The scan only shows the top page, Issue, Decision and Evidence.

The Reasons and Bases didn't come out.

Both uploads are the same page.

Editing to add:

In the Section I don't see any reports from the

3 different doctor's listed, unless they are included in the Park Place evidence.

Have you asked them about genetic testing? It seems to be quite common nowdays.

Thanks, but genetic testing would serve no purpose in my case. Genetic testing could only show whether or not I have inherited alleles know to increase the risk of developing BPD. Whether or not my condition is caused by genetic factors is not really relevant. If I can show a nexus between my BPD and my in service hospitalization, it would be adequate to show service connection, since I had no previous history of the disorder. If my hospitalization during service was related to BPD, then at the very least, this would show aggravation.

blue,

The scan only shows the top page, Issue, Decision and Evidence.

The Reasons and Bases didn't come out.

Both uploads are the same page.

Editing to add:

In the Section I don't see any reports from the

3 different doctor's listed, unless they are included in the Park Place evidence.

Oops, I posted the same link twice. I foxed it on the original post, the second link is now page 2

Oops, I posted the same link twice. I foxed it on the original post, the second link is now page 2

Thanks, much better now.

I noticed that this issue for SC of bipolar disorder was a re-opened claim.

What exactly does the original denial for SC of bipolar disorder state in the Reasons and Bases ?

Thanks, much better now.

I noticed that this issue for SC of bipolar disorder was a re-opened claim.

What exactly does the original denial for SC of bipolar disorder state in the Reasons and Bases ?

Actually, I believe they considered this re-opened because of a claim that I filed years ago, but did not follow up on. I did not show up for the C&P so all they could have had was my service medical records. So the denial would have been based on lack of evidence.

Edited by bluevet

Actually, I believe they considered this re-opened because of a claim that I filed years ago, but did not follow up on. I did not show up for the C&P so all they could have had was my service medical records. So the denial would have been based on lack of evidence.

Without coming directly from the RD that is most likely just a part of the reason for denial.

The RD itself is the best way to go to overcome the denial.

BTW - I agree with an IMO, but you posted 3 doc have concurred.