VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help! Bipolar Claim Denied Solely On Genetics

Rate this question

bluevet

Question

My C&P doctor gave me a gaf of 53, but he denied service connection and his only reasoning was that bipolar disorder is a genetic condition. This makes no sense since many vets are receiving benefits for this illness. I was chaptered out of the Army with a personality disorder, but I have since been diagnosed with bipolar by 3 different doctors, including the C&P doctor who acknowledges in the report that the Army doctor had diagnosed "personality disorder", He then concurred with the bipolar diagnosis and stated that no other mental illness exists. How can they deny me based solely on this doctor's opinion that bipolar disorder is genetic? I need to find a vet friendly psychiatrist or psychologist to review my records and right a letter. Does anyone know of someone they can recommend? Please private message me if you can recommend someone. Thanks!

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Here's some helpful cases if you want to look them over, perhaps you

already have.

These cases will show the what's and why's, the land-mines to overcome.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp13/Files2/1311860.txt

http://www.va.gov/vetapp07/Files1/0706920.txt

On this one - specifically # 8 & 9.

http://www.va.gov/vetapp05/Files5/0532817.txt

• HadIt.com Elder

You can see Dr. Gillian Karatinos in Tampa for an IME. She used to work for the VA. She wrote me a IME and it blew them away at the VARO. There are two other doctors in Tampa: Gary Arthur and Mike Rothburd who might be able to help. Where do you live?

You can see Dr. Gillian Karatinos in Tampa for an IME. She used to work for the VA. She wrote me a IME and it blew them away at the VARO. There are two other doctors in Tampa: Gary Arthur and Mike Rothburd who might be able to help. Where do you live?

john,

The OP's profile shows as Cali.

If the military booted you out for a PD and years afterwards doc's are saying they feel you really never

had a PD and you actually have bipolar - THAT is a change in diagnosis.

I still feel there is importance in knowing if there was any severance pay provided when

you were chaptered out for PD.

Also, by chance do you receive SSDI ?

jmho

No severance pay, No SSDI

Bluevet, I believe that your C/P doc made a mistake, no kidding right? Bi-Polar is a service connected disability, diagnostic code 9432, bi-polar all by itself.

It is apparent that you have researched this and have a grasp on what to do.

Your aware of the nexus statement, I would focus on obtaining another one with a mental health doc that can rebut everything the c/p examiner stated. Also, remember that the VA has discontinued using the GAF scores on all mental health disabilities.

Your plight is attainable. I've assisted a veteran with the same scenario you painted. He obtained the letters that I suggested above. It costs him some money, but he obtained them and we submitted his claim. He was awarded 100%

Once you obtain the documents I listed above, submit a NOD (VA FM 21-0958) attach a copy of your nexus and I would also attach (again) a copy of your med board results.

The NOD is only if your denial was within the last year. You provided no denial date. If it has been longer than a year, you must submit it as a claim with new and material evidence, which I'm sure your aware of.

Good luck....

Bluevet, I believe that your C/P doc made a mistake, no kidding right? Bi-Polar is a service connected disability, diagnostic code 9432, bi-polar all by itself.

It is apparent that you have researched this and have a grasp on what to do.

Your aware of the nexus statement, I would focus on obtaining another one with a mental health doc that can rebut everything the c/p examiner stated. Also, remember that the VA has discontinued using the GAF scores on all mental health disabilities.

Your plight is attainable. I've assisted a veteran with the same scenario you painted. He obtained the letters that I suggested above. It costs him some money, but he obtained them and we submitted his claim. He was awarded 100%

Once you obtain the documents I listed above, submit a NOD (VA FM 21-0958) attach a copy of your nexus and I would also attach (again) a copy of your med board results.

The NOD is only if your denial was within the last year. You provided no denial date. If it has been longer than a year, you must submit it as a claim with new and material evidence, which I'm sure your aware of.

Good luck....

Thaks Meghp, I wasn't aware that the VA isn't using gaf scores any longer. When did they stop using them. It's strange because the gaf score is part of the DBQ used by the C&P examiner. My denial was in August, so I still have plenty of time to submit a NOD