VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Clothing Allowance Denial Letter

Rate this question

allenwilliams42

Question

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

the prosthetic department handles all clothing allowances, nothing you can do about that. The changes for these braces were made about 2 years ago I believe. If your braces do not meet the requirements as stated in that letter, your clothing allowance will be continued to be denied.

This change came about as another way for the va to save money. Several veterans who had been regularly receiving the CA, now find themselves being denied simply due to the information in your letter.

Another issue they are dealing with now concerns the hinged knee brace. The company that makes this brace (don't remember the brand name) wrote a letter to the VA stating that their hinged knee braces do not damage the clothing in any way. There were some veterans that I seen this past year that were denied because of that.

Unless you doc orders you some different braces, I see you continually being denied.

This whole process is a matter of interpretation, which I believe has been stated on here somewhere. I have a motorized wheel chair that before last year was added in my clothing allowance, this year it was eliminated. The VA issued me this 27,000.00 Permobile wheel chair, and there is more damage to my clothing in this motorized chair than the manual one. Someone in prosthetics decided to make up her own rules based on how she interpreted it. The regulations state wheelchairs but does not make any rule that differentiates between manual or motorized.

I have both an AFO and KAFO and mine have exposed hinges. So I am waiting now for some idiot to come and say this statement to me:

"The company that makes this brace wrote a letter to the VA stating that their hinged knee braces do not damage the clothing in any way." How in the world the VA can use that as an excuse not to pay for irreparable damage to veterans clothing is beyond me. The manufacturer has no idea of what damage is done, no one goes to them reporting this damage. It is just pathetic, but expected from the V.A.

I hear you load and clear. Because i have skin disorders that i use cream for and those creams are on a list that say they do not stain clothes i get nothing. my skin also has excessive flaking so i have to do laundry more often or i get to sleep in skin flakes and it does not smell the best.

What really gets me is that these people that get to say yes or no really dont know anything because all they have is a list to go by and i believe every case should be looked at differently.