VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Had My Ptsd C&p Yesterday...

Rate this question

Wolfhound88

Question

Hmmm....brought up a lot of things that I hadn't talked about for a LOT of years, and in turn brought out a lot of emotions. No outbursts or anything, but I broke down I think six times. Told her about 6 or 7 incidents in combat. It wasn't so much talking about the things that happened, but things that have happened in my life since then. No contact with family, no real friends at all, 2 failed marriages, a lot of wondering why my life just wasn't anything like "normal" people.

Long story short, at the very end, the Psychologist (she had been with VA for twenty years treating PTSD patients, and now a VA contracted examiner) told me that she has no doubt that I have been suffering with PTSD for 20+ years and that it has greatly affected my life. She also stated she believed that I had secondary depression caused by the PTSD. She even told me that she thought it may be good for me to have some other type of income from the VA so I could take the time to actually take care of myself, rather than work...Suggested that I might look into a voluntary six week, intensive inpatient treatment for PTSD at the VA...

I'm thinking I might get rated for PTSD. Thoughts?

Thanks all.

I recommend, keep going to your appointments, if scheduled, create a trail that your looking for assistance from the VA. I learned if I made all my appointments, was honest when talking to my Psychiatrist and VA Medical Doctors, that they went way out of their way to assist me.

When you file a claim and their gathering evidence, the docs, VA social workers, receptionists, are all taking mental notes on how you act, what you say. When it comes for them to put their inputs on your condition, you want them to remember you as a troubled vet, and not some obnoxious person trying to game the system.

I actually sat next to a vet, when waiting for one of my appointments, he was telling me in a low whisper how to game the system, buy a cane, fake a limp, etc. I was disgusted that he was associated with the U.S. Armed service's acting in this manner, when alot of vets that have true honest disabilities, and this "fake" is trying to tell me how to game the system. I told him, "you don't know me" and I could have been an imposter, checking on fakes. I am sure they're investigators out there, at the VA clinic's and hospitals.

All I can say is be honest when you go to your appointments and when scheduled for a C & P exam always make this appointment even if you have to get their the night before and have to sleep in the waiting room.

Edited by Proudvet

Thanks both of you. :) Yup, I have an appointment for my feet today, and on Tuesday for my hearing, and going to make both of those. It's funny, because before my PTSD C&P I did a lot of reading online about what I should say, what I shouldn't say, etc. I couldn't possibly remember all that stuff if I tried, LOL. I was really nervous going into it, but the examiner did a really good job of putting me at ease and getting me to open up. It seemed she was genuinely concerned and looking out for my well-being, which mad things much better. :)

And thank you both for your service as well! :)

I don't trust anyone. I've had similar things said but none of it put on paper. I wish you luck but as soon as you can get copies of your c@p. Then and only then have wishful thinking.

I think some of them honestly just like getting our hopes up. Talking about money and all that from the examiner kinda concerns me

Wow! Been checking Ebenefits daily...expecting that I would see the same thing every day. Opened it up this morning and was really suprised! My file has been moved from "Gathering Evidence" to "Preparation for Decsion". I know I shouldn't get too hopeful yet, because it could sit there for months and months or longer, but it's nice to see that it's hopefully moving in the right direction!