VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ebenefits Pulling Up Someone Else's Information

Rate this question

jfarr22384

Question

I just logged onto benefits account and it pulled up all the claim past and present including home address and payment information for a Charles Allen Tanner. I cannot believe my credentials somehow got me access to another account. Has this happened to anyone else?

I'm wondering if someone now has access to my personal information

MOORE COUNTY, N.C. (WTVD) -- Navy veteran Sylvester Woodland said he couldn't believe what he was seeing Wednesday night when he logged onto the Veteran Affairs' E-Benefits website.

"It gave me a different person's name, each and every time I came back," Woodland said. At first I thought it was just a glitch, but the more I thought about it, I said, wait a minute, this is more than a glitch, this is a breach."

Woodland was on the VA's E-Benefits website trying to track down his own history for a bank loan. Instead, windows kept popping up displaying other veterans' medical and financial information.

"When you click on these hyperlinks here, it takes you to the bank account, the direct deposit, bank account, last four, what bank is it for," Woodland said. "I'll bet he has no idea that I'm sitting here in my house with his information."

Woodland said he called the Department of Defense, the VA, and Senator Kay Hagan's office, but he didn't get any response until Thursday morning. Then, the website went down and an email came from the DOD asking him to scan the few pages he printed out and email them over.

"Already I see the blame game going. It's the VA. No, it's the DOD. It's going to bounce back and forth, but can you prove it's an isolated incident?" Woodland said.

Woodland wonders if the breech was internal or intentional and worries that there is not enough being done to find out the answers.

"I don't want these veterans' private information to continue to bounce around out there in no man's land," he said.

The VA said they are aware of the situation and told ABC11 they will send a response at a later time. Meanwhile, the Department of Defense was unable to provide any answers.

If this is an actual security breach look to the Syrian Electronic Army as the prime suspect. Frankly, I 'm surprised it hasn't already happened. I've read elsewhere that Peggy is requesting account holders that experienced the data disclosures to contact them with specifics. The source also indicated that Peggy was offering credit monitoring for those involved. If true, someone's got some splaining to do. Hopefully, its a limited internal error and we're not going to start seeing soldier's records appear on some Middle Eastern website.

Care to reveal your "source" at the VA or are you just BSing???

LC

P.S. - Never mind. I looked at your past posts & think I've already answered my own question.

Edited by Loose Cannon

The source was on another website that allegedly contacted Peggy.

On a lighter note, look at the bright side, we won't be checking eBenefits 5 times a day looking for a claim update.

Edited by AmicusBrief

The source was on another website that allegedly contacted Peggy.

On a lighter note, look at the bright side, we won't be checking eBenefits 5 times a day looking for a claim update.

Can you be more specific? the website's name??

Trying to sort facts from myths or rumors so any help you can provide is much appreciated.

Thanks

LC

P.S. - you can private message me if you'd rather not disclose it on site.

Edited by Loose Cannon

Today is now the 17th eBenefits is still down and all I have been able to find out what is on this forum. I do not see any coverage of this on any of the national news outlets, they seem to be to busy bashing healthcare,gov to care about us. I would like to know if my VA information is safe and some explanation of what happened here.

I'm wondering why as well and it makes me furious! Here's what I suggest but everyone should do what ever they choose. I contacted my Senator's office very early this morning. Recommend all concerned vets do likewise. Here's what my short note said:

Dear Senator,

As you are aware, the VA eBenefits website had several instances Wednesday night nationwide of a serious information security breach. Many veterans from right here in NC have solid evidence that personal information such as medical data, financial records, social security numbers, and other protected information has been compromised.

I have two questions that require your immediate attention Senator Hagen:

1) What does the VA have to say about this, other than they are "aware of the problem" ?

2) What are you doing about this very serious issue?

Thank you Senator Hagen. I will await your prompt reply.

Sincerely,

My Name

My Address

Hm Phone: (xxx) xxx-xxxx

Cell Phone: (xxx) xxx-xxxx

I do not want to subscribe to your automatic mailings. I simply want answers.

Edited by Loose Cannon