VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Trying To Make Sense Of C&p Exam For Eye Exam

Rate this question

eg1970

Question

Dx: Central Retinal Ischemia OS
Visual field loss consistent with h/o stroke.
Diabetes mellitus no retinopathy
Nuclear sclerotic cataract OU
Refractive error OU

RIGHT EYE UNCORRECTED 20/25 J5
RIGHT EYE CORRECTED 20/20-3 J1

LEFT EYE UNCORRECTED 20/LP LP
LEFT EYE CORRECTED 20/LP LP

HUMPHREY KINETIC 16 MERIDIAN VISUAL FIELD PLOTTED ON GOLDMAN BOWL CHART:
OD: SUPERIOR 9 DEG; TEMPORAL 71 DEG; INFERIOR 60 DEG; NASAL 9 DEG
OS: SUPERIOR 0 DEG; TEMPORAL 0 DEG; INFERIOR 32 DEG; NASAL 0 DEG
HVF 24-2 OU:
OD: LOW RELIABILITY; COMPLETE NASAL VFD; GHT OUTSIDE NL; MD: -16.34DB
OS: RELIABLE; COMPLETE SCOTOMA; GHT OUTSIDE NL; MD: -32.14
NOTE: CONSTRICTION OF VISUAL FIELDS CORRESPONDS TO CLINICAL PICTURE OF LEFT
HEMIANOPSIA AND VISUAL LOSS LEFT EYE FROM CENTRAL RETINAL ARTERY ISCHEMIA.

If anybody knows any of what this means it would be helpful.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

eg, going to need to know what you filed for? You can also go to the rating disabilities page and look at the results and see where you might fall.

But really need to know what you filed for and what you are currently 30%

Stillhere

My father filed for vision loss secondary to ischemic heart disease.

He has 1 eye that has light perception only.

He's getting 20% for DIabetes

He's getting 10% for CAD

Thanks

Edited by eg1970

I think you would of been better off, submitting his eye condition secondary to his diabetes. I've never heard of eye conditions being secondary to heart conditions. They may be, I don't know, I've just never heard of it.

good luck!

The VA doctor that examines his eyes said that he should put in for it from his heart conditions.

The doctor's diagnosis is that he has no retinopathy from Diabetes mellitus.

Here is what the C&P examiner put down.

MEDICAL OPINION AND RATIONALE: VETERAN'S VISION LOSS IS AT LEAST AS LIKELY
AS
NOT PROXIMATELY DUE TO OR RESULT OF ISCHEMIC HEART DISEASE. VETERAN'S
CENTRAL
ARTERY OCCLUSION LEFT EYE AND CVA WITH RESULTING VISION LOSS IS A RESULT OF
RETINAL AND BRAIN ISCHEMIA WHICH ARE AT LEAST AS LIKELY AS NOT PROXIMATELY DUE
TO OR RESULT OF ISCHEMIC HEART DISEASE.

Meg certainly made a good point as to claiming this as secondary to his DMII.....I would have claimed this is due to his DMII and/or his Ischemic heart disease, as it could be a result of IHD atherosclerosis.

“Visual field loss consistent with h/o stroke. “

“Heterotopic ossifications (HOs) are a common secondary complication of central neurological system (CNS) damage. “

http://www.atout-org.com/sofmer2011/abstract_display!en!!!!4fb70d70-b8a8-102e-8a86-0bd0f456d114!15

If that is what they mean by H/O stroke.

The opinion clearly defines the Stroke as ischemic.

That too could have most likely stemmed from the DM II or the IHD.(I am not a doctor but very familar with DMII, CVA, IHD etc as to ischemia and the DMII VA training letter helped me win my DMII claim.( and 1151 CVA claim)

Diabetes ,Mellitus can involve almost every main organ system in the body, as the VA Diabetes Training Letter here reveals:

“MEDICAL OPINION AND RATIONALE: VETERAN'S VISION LOSS IS AT LEAST AS LIKELY
AS
NOT PROXIMATELY DUE TO OR RESULT OF ISCHEMIC HEART DISEASE. VETERAN'S
CENTRAL
ARTERY OCCLUSION LEFT EYE AND CVA WITH RESULTING VISION LOSS IS A RESULT OF
RETINAL AND BRAIN ISCHEMIA WHICH ARE AT LEAST AS LIKELY AS NOT PROXIMATELY DUE
TO OR RESULT OF ISCHEMIC HEART DISEASE. “

He should get awarded for the vision problems.

How long ago did the VA rate his IHD and DMII? Those ratings seem way too low.

Has he claimed the stroke as secondary to either the DMII or the the IHD? ( Or to both)

This statement here from the C & P exam should definitely support a secondary claim for the CVA as secondary to his IHD.

"BRAIN ISCHEMIA WHICH ARE AT LEAST AS LIKELY AS NOT PROXIMATELY DUE
TO OR RESULT OF ISCHEMIC HEART DISEASE."

VA rates brain ischemia as to it's residuals.

Edited by Berta

eg1970.

A little about my condition. In 2007 while I was on Active Duty I was due to have several right knee surgeries, and after the first surgery for some reason the knee wouldn't properly heal so my Army doctor sent me to see a civilian Neurologist to have a steroid injection on my lower spine, because an x-ray showed that I need back surgery due to some bad disc. Anyway, he wanted me to have the injection so that I could have some physical therapy and strengthen my right knee prior to my second surgery on the knee, then they were going to decide when to do surgery on my back, and after everything was said and done, I had some really bad reactions from the steroid injection on my back which caused me to get diabetes II, and also caused me to get a stroke on my left eye which caused me to get a hole right in the middle of the retina which left me blind, having light perception on the eye only. My VA doctor annotated everything because she really got scared for me because the injection caused so many other health issues. I filed a claim with the VA a few months before I retired, because I was found unfit for duty, and was asked to retire since I already had well over 20 plus years of active duty. After I retired I put in a claim to the SGLI insurance because of me having a traumatic injury, and the claim would cover me for $50,000 because of the lost of my vision through TSGLI because I was on active duty when this happen to me. Wrong! I was denied the money, because SGLI said I didn't qualify for some reason, and they didn't consider that it was service connected, well it was, and I was found service connected for the eye by the VA, and I was rated at 30% for it. So now, I guess I'll try to find a way to try and get my $$ from the TSGLI for my eye. I don't know if the VA rated my right, reason is that in 2012, I was rated 90% for my service connected issues, but the eye was deferred until they evaluated the eye issue a little more, and in 2013 I was rated 100% P&T with SMC. I also have high blood pressure issues, but nothing was ever mention as to it being the caused to the lost of vision.

Sorry for the long reply...

Aggie..