VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does Anyone Really Know How They Rate Parkinson's

Rate this question

shakeyswife

Question

I have tried to figure out how the VA is rating Parkinson's Disease, and I am having much difficulty deciphering the rating schedule. I have done a little bit of research, but just can not seem to grasp how PD is really rated. I have read 30% initial rating, we know this is true.

My question is, once they start rating all the other aspects/secondaries does that initial 30% stay and combine with all the secondaries or do they disregard the initial 30% and just rate on all the "secondaries"?

I have tried to do some research but I'll I seem to come up with is contradiction, in the way PD has been rated. It appears as though some raters add the secondaries to the 30% and some do not. Even with research of some of the citations, I am still unable to comprehend how the VA is rating this disease.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I was awarded a temporary rating of 30%. My civilian doctor filled out a DBQ (Disability Benefits Questionaire) and i was granted service connection for residuals due to parkinson's. The 30% was discontinued and i was awarded a percentage for each residual, from 10% to 50%. The doctor will assign a none, mild, moderate or severe impairment to the residual's caused by having parkinson's. Don't forget about sexual dysfunction (ED), if that also is a residual, you will receive smc (k). Down load a DBO from VA site or others and look at the sections on the form.

If you have any more question's, It would be my pleasure to help you. If he qualifies, I would file for IU, which is 100%. From my own personal experience, your husband is going to need all the support you can give him. I would also file for smc (s) housebound. I didn't know i could file for housebound until two years after i was awarded IU.

GOD BLESS

Thank you so much Warren,

I was hoping that either you or another member that has PD would respond, as I have read many of your postings. My husbands claim has been deferred it was submitted on a DBQ (filled out by VA). TDIU has also been deferred. Gets a bit complicated, because they want to see how cognitive impairment is intertwined with PTSD, which has also been deferred. He should be having a QTC appointment soon, as they have received his records. (We called them, they just need to make the appointment)

This is another part of my confusion as to how they want to rate it.

"The issue of compensation for right upper extremity neurological impairment due to Parkinson's Disease (to include bradykinesia, tremor, muscle rigidity and muscle cramps." same for upper left

"The issue of compensation for right lower extremity neurological impairment due to Parkinson's Disease (to include bradykinesia, balance impairment, tremor, muscle rigidity and muscle cramps." same for lower right

I thought balance impairment was a separate issue, as well as bradykinesia.

They also have listed the stooped posture, ed, etc.etc........

May God Bless and be with you as well.

Has parkinson's been diagnosed? I would go to a civilian neurologist or his civilian personal physician with a DBQ and ask them to fill it out.

section II - motor manifestations: balance impairment and bradykinesia are listed separately. section v-my personal physician stated that i was unable to work and this statement is what they used to give me iu total and permanent with no future exams. If you have to pay a civilian doctor to fill out the DBQ, in my opinion it would be worth it. Was the VA doctor a neurologist? I would ask them why they are deferring the parkinson's claim for cognitive impairment or dementia, since he has motor and additional manifestations of parkinson's. Can't they address the cognitive impairment latter? Was the parkinson's, tdiu and ptsd filed as separate claims.?

GOD BLESS

This is the scoop: Filed for Hearing, Tinnitus, PTSD, and TDIU October 2012. Filed for Parkinson's June 2013. They rated the hearing and tinnitus and deferred everything else. Already had a C&P exam for PTSD. It was through VA neurology that he was diagnosed with Parkinson's, (thankfully to his treating VA psychiatrist that had actually picked up on some of his symptoms and actually made the neurology appointment for him, YUP a VA psychiatrist did that) and a DBQ was filled out by the VA neurology department it wasn't the neurologist but the nurse practitioner. Her comments were " poor fine motor coordination, falls, tremors and rigidity all impact the patient's ability to work. Depression and mild cognitive impairment are also problems."

This is what was written on the rating decision for the above.

"Compensation for post traumatic stress disorder, depressive disorder and cognitive disorder due to Parkinson's disease.

The issue of compensation for ptsd and cognititve disorder due to Parkinson's disease is deferred for the following information: VA Examination and to determine if and how much your Parkinson's related cognitive disorder is intertwined with your PTSD, Depressive disorder and sleep disorder."

Since the VA only gives you one rating for mental health, I guess they want to see how much Parkinson's has impacted his mental health. Well there is depression with PTSD and also PD because he is losing his mobility. But what I do not understand is why they picked the cognitive disorder part to intertwine with PTSD, because it is listed on the DBQ for Parkinson's and what the NP had written. There is really nothing that we can do until after he has the C&P exam for Parkinson's and see how they rate everything. He did recently have a neurology appointment in which she wrote severe upper bi-lat rigidity originally it was only moderate when they filled out the first DBQ. She figures he has probably had PD for approx. 5 years. It seems to me that the rigidity is progressing rapidly. The medication does help quite a bit.

Also on his 526EZ for Parkinson's we also added fatigue and the muscle cramps, so I imagine that took it out of the FDC status because of those added two contentions that were not on the original DBQ because there is no place for them. I guess we inundated them with symptoms, we really didn't care because we are not in any kind of a hardship position, so if it takes them longer to rate, we wait, I just want them to do it right the first time.

Now, I have a question. Is the fatigue to the point to where he can't do any physical work around the house, walk very far or go any where, unless he has to go. My main complaint's are very very fatigued, can't sleep at night and muscle pain everywhere. No doctor seems to have the answer's. I have no life, I would love to be able to live an almost normal life. I'm just frustrated.

GOD BLESS

Warren,

Let me explain it this way. The fatigue is not to bad in the morning, the muscle cramps in his calves are, it takes him at least an hour to get moving around, takes his meds right away. He does try to walk or do some sort of activity daily, like walk around the house and pick up dog poo, or he will help me clean up the horses & mule paddocks. But once afternoon comes, he feels it is all down hill from then on. His legs feel like they weigh 500 lbs. each, there is soreness in his neck, shoulders and upper back. The rigidity in his shoulders; he has much difficulty reaching for anything above his head, has a hard time dressing. He does have a spinal cord stimulator in his lower back, he had back surgery a couple of years ago, and also had radiculopathy going into his legs, (this was workers comp), the spinal cord stimulator helps alot with this pain, but he also takes oxycontin daily for this pain; so I imagine that it helps with the overall muscle soreness from PD. Has complained about his eyes feeling dry and itchy. The NP stated that had nothing to do with PD. Well, after some research it does, because of the loss of autonomic functioning (masked face) the eyes do not move as much. There is much difficulty for him to get to sleep at night and try to get into a comfortable position. Every one reacts to PD differently as well as the symptoms, if anyone were to look at him they would see that he looks fine, but he uses a cane and keeps his other hand in his pocket, (embarassed how he looks with the reduced arm swing), he does not have the shuffle yet, but his feet will stick to the floor, especially if he has forgotten to take his meds. this is where the falls have come from, he takes his time turning. Is there a Parkinson's support group any where in your area that you might be able to attend? My husband actually does not want any part of one of these. We deal with a lot by trying to add humor to our lives.