VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New To The Forum, Just Looking For Some Advice

Rate this question

ruffryder24

Question

Where to even begin. I was in the Army served 5 years and about a year in Iraq in a Combat MOS. I was there at such a young age (19) that I thought alot of the issues I dealt with were just life. Recently a uncle convinced me to seek treatment as I was completely withdrawn and was having serious thoughts of suicide. So about a year ago I went to the VA and started attending mental health appointments, things were ok and I was just glad to be able to talk about things that were hard for me.

The doctor said my problem stems from my time in Iraq and the VA hooked me up with a Veterans Service Office, the person helped me put in a claim. Shortly after I put my claim in I had a pretty bad panic attack attending a graduation function and ended up drinking a ton to calm my nerves and be able to function at the party. I ended up blacking out getting arrested and served a month in jail. Since then I didn’t want to go back to the VA and haven’t had any contact in about 9 months.

My drinking and drug use has returned and im again teetering on the edge of losing it. I went last week to see someone at VA and set up future appointments, I feel better than I did and really want to stick with it this time. I guess my question is how did my absence from my appointments and basic departure from the process affect my claim? And what should I do to get it back on tracy? The claim itself isn’t the biggest issue for me, getting some form of treatment is, but I still feel that anything the VA could help with would be great. I luckily have a job where i don’t interact with anybody but a single supervisor, but even there it has become hard to maintain and I take lot of time off. Thanks in advance for any insight you guys/gals can give me

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

ruffryder24

Hang in there. talk to your Doc when you can and you should be OK. Missing an appointment should not affect you or your claim----with the exception of the C&P appointment. Don't miss that one. It's key to your claim rating determination. Good luck and try to stay sober.....

Thanks agcgonz, unfortunately it looks like I did miss the C&P Exam. No idea what that even was before I started reading this forum yesterday. Called the VA just a little while ago and seems I may get another chance based on me being incarcerated at the time of the appointment. How do I go about finding out what the doctor believes is wrong with me? He has thrown around a lot of terms (PTSD, anxiety, alcohol dependency, depression) but how do I know if he has actually diagnosed me with anything?

Probably the easiest way is to get your medical records and review them. There are 2 ways that I know to go about doing that.

1. Got to the local V.A. and ask them for your records. Should be a place called ROI or Release of Information. Ive heard some people have to pay a very small amount to get them. I have never paid for mine and they give them to me on the spot. Sometimes I might have to wait a couple minutes but WELL worth it.

2. The way that I prefer is on the internet. Go to https://www.myhealth.va.gov/index.html or just google myhealthevet. You have to sign up. Its free and only takes a couple minutes. This is the important part so listen close. After you sign up you need to check VA Patient and VA Veteran in the boxes under your profile. Then you have to go the VA and do an in person verification. There will be probably one person that handles that. Just go there tell them who you are and they will approve you to use the system. Very easy to do. I like to use the online because it shows everything from when I was born into the system!

The other thing is its good to get help. But its better to get help without screwing yourself! It is easy to prove PTSD if you have been in combat. Do it the right way. Read some forums here and ask advice like you are. Try to stay away from the drinking part of the conversation. Its never helped my case. I have even had a doctor try to tell me that my nightmares and depression were from drinking NOT PTSD. A Combat Medic on a line unit in Iraq during the initial invasion thru the first battle of Falujah and a couple beers a night are causing my nightmares! Sure buddy!

Try to stay on topic of what your symptoms are. No matter what you hear, MOST doctors REALLY DO want to help. There are a few that don't but just stay on point with your problems that YOU KNOW are caused by combat and you should be good. Get your rating, build some trust with a doctor and then start going into some deeper stuff that you might need help.

And also even if you don't get another chance I am pretty sure you refile once they deny you. I don't see why you couldn't. Maybe someone else will know for sure. You might even look into what is called a Fully Developed Claim. Its pretty new. I am not sure if you can use it for initial claims or not and what info you have to have. It requires you to do the leg work and get medical records and stuff but it is supposed to be an expedited rating decision.

Contact someone the the Disabled American Veterans to help you. Its free and they file claims pretty much all day every day. No you don't have to be disabled yet to use them. Be honest with those guys..the are your representative. There are many groups from them to the American Legion, to Order of the Purple Hearts or something like that. Most Larger VA Hospitals have a place where the put all the Veteran Service Groups. They don't work for the V.A. Find someone you trust that is easy to talk to to help you. They can pick up in the middle of your claim and help you finish it the right way.

And many VA's like the Bath NY VAMC have programs for treatment of drug and alcohol problems.

Those problems certainly go hand in hand, for many vets, who have PTSD.

I gripe about VA a lot but they excel in my opinion, in good PTSD treatment as well as alcohol and drug issues.

I know some vets in these programs presently at the local VA and they never have anything negative to say about them.

MedicC and agcgonz gave you great advice.