VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Help Me Condence This Down Please

Rate this question

usdart

Question

My unit is A Btry 2/35th..I need to make this fit on the VA form. I am totally lost how to write this as my stressor for the VA.

In the early morning hours of April 18, 1970, Fire Support Base Den, located a few klicks east of the village of Dinh Quan and FSB Nancy (and in a super-active sector of the 4-12th Infantry’s AO), was hit hard by a coordinated ground and rocket attack by elements of the 33rd NVA Regiment.Bravo and Charlie Companies of the 4-12th Infantry, a three gun section of 105’s from Charlie Battery, 2-40th Artillery, and a six gun section of Self-Propelled 155’s from A/2-35th Artillery were there to provide security and fire support for units operating in the area. (A couple of days before, an 8 inch gun from II Field Force had been there as well put pulled out to another location. "When this gun fired, it got everyone's attention.")Sometime after 0300 on 18 April, the firebase was hit with round after round of heavy mortar and RPG fire. During the barrage, several enemy sappers used the diversion to get inside the perimeter and begin hurling satchel charges and grenades. One NVA charge landed either in or near the FDC bunker where 1LT Charles F. Deeble was killed. (A large, dead tree stood in the center of the basecamp’s perimeter which was used as an aiming stake for the NVA gunners. It should have been removed when the base was being constructed but wasn’t. See the first image above for the tree).

At end of the barrage or at some point during the early stages of the ground attack, two of the SP 155’s were hit and destroyed by the NVA fire.

Roger Raymond of C/4-12 remembers smoke and spark trails from the countless RPG’s crisscrossing all over the perimeter and impacting before stopping. He and several other grunts from Charlie Company were manning a .50 caliber machine gun position on the perimeter line when the rounds starting screaming in. Directly behind them was a tracked ammunition carrier for the 155 SP’s in which they were seeking shelter during the barrage. As soon as the enemy artillery began to let up, they returned to their fighting positions and began to pump out return fire from the .50 caliber and their M-16’s.Several NVA RPG teams were located behind termite mounds less than 30 meters to their front.Towards the end of the artillery barrage, a large number of NVA infantrymen came charging out of the treeline intent on overrunning the base where they were cut down and stopped short by small-arms and 105/155 direct-fire utilizing high-explosive and beehive rounds. Some of the GI’s on the berm actually heard bugles blowing in the treeline when the NVA first attacked.By first light, with air-support and artillery fire increasing in intensity around the firebase, the fight was beginning to fizzle out as what was left of the NVA attackers being making their way back into the jungle. They left behind anywhere from 30 – 60 dead and large quantities of discarded weapons and equipment.

Redcatcher and A/2-35th Artillery personnel losses were heavy with two killed and an estimated 35 or more wounded.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I was hoping for that. Thank you.

I also have the Commanders report I can attach.

As I understand it MY role and feelings, reactions are needed on the form.

So I will work on the hard part.

I was hoping for that. Thank you.

I also have the Commanders report I can attach.

As I understand it MY role and feelings, reactions are needed on the form.

So I will work on the hard part.

dart,

Sorry, but I don't remember if you had something like a CIB or any award or decoration

on your 214 that already established a combat role / area.

If yes, then you should not need to go into details on the stressor form, just basic place &

approximate dates, etc . . .

jmho

dart,

Sorry, but I don't remember if you had something like a CIB or any award or decoration

on your 214 that already established a combat role / area.

If yes, then you should not need to go into details on the stressor form, just basic place &

approximate dates, etc . . .

jmho

My unit recieved a Combat Award so I also have that on my Awards and decorations records.

usdart, below is the list of combat awards that VA accepts as proof of combat. If you have one of these awards, you should be good to go, providing you have a diagnosis, and a statement from a doc that your PTSD is related to your combat experience. Good Luck to you.

When a Veteran has received any of the combat decorations listed below, VA will presume that the Veteran engaged in combat with the enemy, unless there is clear and convincing evidence to the contrary:

• Air Force Achievement Medal with “V” Device
  • Air Force Combat Action Medal
  • Air Force Commendation Medal with “V” Device
  • Air Force Cross
  • Air Medal with “V” Device
  • Army Commendation Medal with “V” Device
  • Bronze Star Medal with “V” Device
  • Combat Action Badge
  • Combat Action Ribbon (Note: Prior to February 1969, the Navy Achievement Medal with “V” Device was awarded.)
  • Combat Aircrew Insignia
  • Combat Infantry/Infantryman Badge
  • Combat Medical Badge
  • Distinguished Flying Cross
  • Distinguished Service Cross
  • Joint Service Commendation Medal with “V” Device
  • Medal of Honor
  • Navy Commendation Medal with “V” Device
  • Navy Cross
  • Purple Heart, and/or
  • Silver Star.

Important: Receipt of one of the decorations cited above is not the only acceptable evidence of engagement in combat.