VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Oxycodone/percocet Weaning Off Strict Policy

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Policy stinks. If you have outside insurance consider somoeone on outside that manages pain but talks to you about why and usually leaves it up to you.

If you don't call them out they will do this to more Vets.

Good Luck

Remember that you are part of the treatment team.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

The VA has tried to force me off opiates before. I fought it because they have nothing to replace the opiates with that works for me. Tell them if they force you off the opiates you will blow your brains out rather than suffer the pain. See how they react to that. Say if very softly and with serious and sad look in your eyes.

John

What are the chances that they won't let you leave after telling them this?

• In Memoriam

I had a stroke about 12 ago. They kept my meds from me. I told them I might as well blow my brains out. This little line put me in (1 on 1) for the rest of the time there just to add to the confusion of the stroke. My psych had to come and explain to these bumpkins that is was sarcasm and not serious.

I said this once over the phone about 5 years ago, and I had a hell of a time to keep the police form coming to my home.

Everything that you say to the VA can and will be used against you in some form or other.

A chaplin came around and asked me some pretty personal questions. I was pissed off, when I found his questions and my answers in my hospital notes. I just had to let it go.

• HadIt.com Elder

Usually, if you don't tell them you have a definite plan they will just question you. What I mean to say is that you have to make a strong point that you cannot live with the pain if they take you off the opiates. It is not that easy to get admitted to the VA nuthouse. I wanted to be admitted and I had to tell them I would not contract to not kill myself over some other issues not pain meds. It can be harder to get out , but they don't really want to keep you since it costs. My shrink never even asks me about suicide and I am SC for depression as well as some other stuff. If she asks me if I feel like I would be better off dead at times I would say "yes" and be damned. That does not mean I have a plan to hang myself. The plan is the main thing and any threat to OD on VA meds would get them excited.

Hello All I recently got fed up with being on Morphine for about 6 years. I got tired of feeling drunk or doped up and I was seeing a civilian Surgeon for my service connected back fusion. Long story short I guess I am lucky I weaned myself off of the morphine I do not recommend any one doing this without a doctor (Mine was pissed when I told him I did it over 2 months time myself). My depression was really bad while taking morphine and I still take Norco for pain 4 times a day I just eat the pain a bit more. I am working with my VA mental health Doctor to see if there is anything that could increase my dopamine levels just my opinion but I had to get off the morphine in my mind I was terrified when I really needed the morphine it would not work when I needed it. Again not trying to suggest anyone doing it as I still have to go see the surgeon this month after I told them I weaned myself off the morphine. I used to be a totally different person before I got on the pain meds for chronic pain. A never ending long road we chronic pain suffers have to walk.

• HadIt.com Elder

I took the morphine for a while and it turned my bowels into concrete. I got off it. Now I use Fentanyl patch and oxycodone. Not great but tolerable.