VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Exciting News

Rate this question

usdart

Question

I have three C&P exams in two days scheduled. Only one of them tells me what it is for.

One is for Tinitus and the other two do not say.

I applied for Tinitus, Hearing loss, Sinusitus (increase) and PTSD.

Hearing loss was flatly denied due to a 1979 ruling against it.

I am guessing one of these is Sinusitis increase and I don't know what the other one is. MY PTSD was slowed down because they asked for proof of Combat which my Congressman only sent in last week. I am pretty sure that is not enough time.

Wish me luck and and that I can control my stress please. I will of course keep you in the loop. All you guys and gals deserve medals for your service to Vets...

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Your most important rating is going to come from PTSD. The PTSD exam is extensive. My advice is to just stick with story that you had fine childhood and no problems with law or school or work until the military. The PTSD is the entire cause of your emotional problems now and in the future. Don't let them go on a fishing expedition into your childhood, marriage or family life before the military. You were an All American boy before the combat experience and now you are disabled due solely to your PTSD experience.

Your most important rating is going to come from PTSD. The PTSD exam is extensive. My advice is to just stick with story that you had fine childhood and no problems with law or school or work until the military. The PTSD is the entire cause of your emotional problems now and in the future. Don't let them go on a fishing expedition into your childhood, marriage or family life before the military. You were an All American boy before the combat experience and now you are disabled due solely to your PTSD experience.

Very good advice john999. I'm not rated for PTSD, But I am reated 50% for "Mood Disorder" (depression, mild memory loss, ect) due to chronic pain (GAF score of 50). I've had two different C&P's done for this. One for my initial claim (which was awarded) and then a little more that a year later when I filield for IU (awarded 12/2313). I do not beleive the GAF scores are used anymore...I could be wrong, but I did not get one for my las C&P

Yes, during the C&P, they will check for issues during your childhood, family life, marriage. I did NOT paint mine as "Perfect", as I did not have a family life like "Father Knows Best". I don't know anyone who did, but I did have a very good one and consistent with the average family.

BE HONEST! Chances are, you will have to go through more than once C&P during your life as a Veteran. Honest feelings are so much easier to remember than those you may want to exaggerate.This does NOT however mean that on the day of your C&P, it just so happens to fall on that very rare---once a year--- "I'm feeling pretty damn good!" day that you need to show it while doing your C&P! "That day" does NOT represent how you feel on the other 364 days. Also remember, when the doctor asks you "Hi. How are you doing today?". DON"T reply like many of us habitually do by saying "Feeling great Doc!". If you were feeling great, you wouldn't be there! Tell 'em that.

The best of luck with your C&P's. I personally don't know of anything more STRESSFUL than going to C&P's!

Edited by GEEBEE711

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA has a poor memory as well. They only check your C-File when you make a claim for retro going back years. What I have found on the medical side of the VA is that each new doctor just scans your most recent records. Nobody follows your medical history unless there is a reason besides medical good practice. I recently tried to get a script for a new drug. I had to see pulmonary doctor. He never looked at my medical history until I got to the appointment. Then he told me he could not prescribe for me because I was getting opiates from the VA pain clinic. If he had even looked at my medical history before allowing me to make an appointment he would have known he was going to deny my request.

Nobody has a perfect family or life before the military. However, the VA will use anything you tell them to deny a claim. If you tell them you had saw and heard people next door screaming and dying in a house fire before you went into the service they may decide this is the real cause of your PTSD, and not the fact you saw buddy blown up in Iraq. If you tell them you used recreational drugs and skipped school a few times before the service you may end up with a personality disorder DX instead of PTSD/depression/anxiety disorder. I know this from personal experience.

.... If you tell them you used recreational drugs and skipped school a few times before the service you may end up with a personality disorder DX instead of PTSD/depression/anxiety disorder. I know this from personal experience.

That's crazy john999!

I remember my first C&P for my mood disorder. Prior to seeing the doctor, I had a 2 or 3 hours of "Questions & Answers" in a room alone with a computer. There were some pretty off the wall questions. I remember one question that asked if I've ever used marijuana before. I have, so I answered "Yes" as I wanted to be 100% honest. Of course being on VA pain management contract for opiates for more than seven years, I no longer do. Actually, I stopped when I got married 14 years ago). I no longer do alcohol either.

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty strange test. After the test, I asked the doctor what this test was actual for. I was told that it was a means to judge my "Honesty". I never knew there was a test for this. When I filed my last claim for IU a little more that a year later, I had two C&P's in which one of them was for my mood disorder. This time, it was only me and the doctor....No "Honesty" test.