VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Advice - Jp4 And Benzene Exposure?

Rate this question

x020574

Question

I do have a Story and then a Question:

Story part:
I recently learned I have a illness with called Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH)it is a rare disease in which red blood cells break down earlier than normal. I have read that benzene can cause these types of symptoms. I was a Jet Engine Mechanic from 1970-74 so I had 4 yrs of exposure to this stuff - but can it rear it's ugly head 40 years later? We use to use a cleaning solution (I don't recall the name but it was P-something). We used it in-shop to clean grease and carbon from internal engine parts. Being young and stupid, we used to joke about how it gave us a buzz.

Also a concern was my extensive exposure to jet engine JP4 fumes. When in -shop maintenance was performed (we actually took J75 Pratt-Whitney engines apart, inspected and rebuilt) There were days when one would get drench with JP4 when underneath and dropping a fuel pump. My fatigues and boots reeked of JP4 no matter how many times I washed them.

Question part:
I was 90% scheduler and recently got TDIU 100%. I would consider putting in a claim for this if I thought it would fly... what do you think my chances would be? It's not about the money, it's more I'm concerned about what I can provide for my wife if I were to pass on as a result of one of my illness. I used to think it will be the IHD that will take me someday and that I am SC for, but now PNH can get nasty fast and that I am not SC for.

71M10 - thank you for the advice!

Edited by x020574

Was it PD 680?

The Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria is a ratable condition and this vet was at 60% for it, when the BVA remanded his claim:

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/view.jsp?FV=http://www.va.gov/vetapp96/files3/9623394.txt

Under the VA Schedule of Ratings here,there should be their actual ratings for this condition,that yoyr medical evidence would have to match, and the 60% rating would garner you SMC.

But you need a strong IMO to establish the nexus to your service.

In another case for this disability that I found at the BVA, the veteran mentioned :

“His second major theory of entitlement 
is that he was exposed to the chemical PD 680 in service 
which contains benzene.  He maintains that benzene can cause 
PNH and aplastic anemia, and therefore these disorders are 
due to chemical exposure in service.  In regard to the 
benzene exposure theory of entitlement, there is in file VA 
examination in August 1996, and a March 1997 letter from the 
Navy Environmental and Preventive Medicine Unit No. 2.”

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/view.jsp?FV=http://www.va.gov/vetapp98/files1/9802288.txt

Unfortunately the claim was remanded and no further mention of what the Navy letter contained.

Chemical exposure claims can succeed by

1. narrowing down the exact chemicals and/or fuels you were exposed to and providing details as to your MOS that caused the exposure, and

2. a very strong medical opinion, that follows our IMO criteria here at hadit, and completely rules out any post service exposures and any other etiology for the disability but for inservice exposure.

3. But I found that this condition has a lot to do with genes, and as you said, there has been a time lapse between your service and the diagnosis.

Has the diagnosing doctor given you any idea of what they think caused this disability?

I googled Benzene and Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria

and this article popped up

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1984288/?page=1

and you might see if you can contact Jet1006 at VBN:

http://vets.yuku.com/topic/117350/Re-60-percent-Service-Connected-Aplastic-AnemiaPNH?page=-1#.UvpQe4Ul8YM

I cant determine if this vet at VBN had this condition inservice or not.

Researching this condition might bring you info you need ,info which an IMO doctor could use to support their opinion.

http://www.med.navy.mil/sites/nmcp/Clinics/nepmu2/Pages/default.aspx

This is the link to the Navy Unit 2 mentioned in the BVA decision above. There might be some help at that site.

Thank you Berta,

You have certainly given me a lot of homework :)

My VA Hem/Onc doctor says nobody knows what causes PNH, but what we do know is that it is acquired and not inherited.

I believe you are correct, PD 680 sounds very familiar... I am 62yrs old and this was 40+ years ago.

I have met one vet that is SC, but he had anemia issues in service.

I will keep you posted, I also want to get a second opinion from a private Hem/Onc. Although the test making the dx is considered the Golden Standard, I believe it's call flow cytometry ???

PD680 was still in use from 97' - 01'. I was an AMS in AIMD, worked next to jet mechs, and we used it frequently for degreasing bearings, wheels, etc. on aircraft. Basically, it's dry-cleaning fluid if I remember correctly. Nasty stuff.

P-D-680 was a Federal Specification for dry cleaning and degreasing solvents. It was widely used by the Department of Defense in general cleaning applications. Numerous federal, state, and local environmental regulations impacted P-D-680 solvents as a hazardous waste, as an air pollutant, as a toxic substance, and as a flammable material. Another problem was that the specification was too general. MIL-PRF-680 for degreasing solvents replaced P-D-680 as of December of 1999.

Edited by K9MAL

My dad, served in the Army in the late 1950s as a re-fueler of Nike Ajax missiles dealing with JP-4, IRFNA and UDMH. He died 18 months after he was discharged in 1959 of acute myelogenous leukemia. My mom, a newlywed, with a 1 year old, applied for veterans benefits back then and was denied with the "not service connected" reason. I am now trying to re-apply on her behalf.

We suspect there may be some linkage from either the toxicity of the fuels and the leukemia. I am aware of special handling gear that these re-fuelers wore. And my mom recalls my dad going for regular blood tests while serving. Her ability to receive benefits hinges on any such connection.

So I was wondering if anyone could offer me guidance on how to go about connecting the dots and submitting an appeal. VA has not been helpful.

Thanks