VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Many "disabled Vets" Are Full Of It?

Rate this question

dertmagurt

Question

I've been roaming the forums and I've definitely noticed some legit claims, but I've also noticed a bunch of bogus ones. Most of my personal friends fall into the bogus category... Meaning they weren't grunts, some weren't even active duty, they didn't deploy, and most of their disabilities should only pertain to combat vets. How exactly do pogs qualify for PTSD? It's pretty infuriating...

I humped every other week 20-25 miles with 80-100 lbs of gear and I only weighed 115 lbs at the time. Obviously it took a toll on my knees and back. That's not counting the many other physically demanding aspects of being a Marine infantryman. It's hard to not think of the majority of people seeking benefits as lazy or welfare queens. I've read posts from reservist pogs complaining they only have 80% and they're still fighting to achieve 100% and people who have 100% still want more! Super frustrating to know that people like that who most would agree are undeserving are keeping benefits out of the hand of those that truly need them (not even counting myself).

I lost 7 friends in my time in the Marines. Countless others were shot or blown up. One of my seniors has 3 Purple Hearts and he only gets 20%. I'm not sure how to feel. I was talked into making a claim over the years and heard about this site. I felt deserving the last week, but after reading some of these posts I'm disgusted and want no association.

Any of you feel the same? Does anyone tell pog reservists to get a job and quit gaming the system? I think it's a disservice to true vets and the real disabled or wounded.

4 answers to this question

I agree with you bud. I was active for 10 years, 5 spent in OIF/OEF, until I was medically retired last year, and that was only after 15 surgeries and diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. I walked away with 10 medals and 25 ribbons, tells you that I was all over the world. Anyways, I see guys that are Reservists or like you said never went to War, and they walk away with 100% of Strained ankles, cut my finger, got fat and now I have Diabetes claims, WTH. We were true guys that were there in the Trenches and Fires. I get so frustrated when I go to the VA and I see guys and gals there, trying to get money from the VA, because they are Drunks or to lazy to work. The VA wonders why guys like us, just want to go on a Violent spree. Sorry I rambled, thanks for your posts, nice to know that I am not the only one that feels like this. God Bless you and good luck

I don't think you should just single out reservists as gaming the system. I know a couple that just retired from active duty and between their retirement and disability they are making over 10K a month. Oh! they never deployed. I have a friend in the reserves who has deployed 8 times to Iraq and Afghanistan. He gets 0%. I read somewhere that the VA figures that 1% of the claims that are filed are not legit. I met a guy at the VA hospital that was getting 70% for PTSD and never left FT Polk, LA. how did that happen? You can bitch all you want but I doubt it will change anything. It happens everywhere look at the food stamp program and welfare. If people think they can get over they are going to try.

Just one example… PTSD can be brought on many things besides combat. Assault, sexual assault, traumatic accident, etc. Just because you don't know the exact specifics of someone else's history doesn't grant you the right to judge them. A whole lot of assumptions being made here...

Service-connected disability compensation is a monthly payment made because of disability:

· resulting from an injury or disease incurred or aggravated

- in active service, and

- in line of duty (which includes disabilities that are not the result of alcohol or drug abuse)

· presumed by law to be related to military service, or

resulting from other limited circumstances, such as disability that is the result of Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) hospitalization or medical treatment, per 38 U.S.C. § 1151.