VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can Anyone Help A Usmc Veteran

Rate this question

Hrizio

Question

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and new to the process as a whole. I was in the USMC from 89-94 and was discharged with a 10% disability rating. I filed a claim upon discharge and just found out I was approved in 1996 but the VA could not find me as my address had changed. They apparantly had been sending checks until 2002 when they stopped due to th being sent back. I literally have lived within 5 miles of this location since my claim approval so I am stumped how hard it would have been to find me but nonetheless, I corrected my address information and my local VA rep took my direct deposit information and requested my case be reopened (claim already approved) and for the back pay and monthly benefits be sent to me. Does anyone know how long this takes? My congressman just opened and inquiry into this a couple days ago. As I stated, my claim has been approved for years. I have never received any benefits due to having an old address and because of such my file was closed. My rep reopened the claim and I am just wondering on a timeline to begin receiving the benefits I should have been getting for years. I am a single father of two kids and am in a significant financial dilemma as I am sure many are. Just foreclosed on and a bankruptcy discharged. Please if someone can give me a timeline. I have heard it takes years to get claims approved but mine has been approved. Just waiting for them to reopen and start sending my benefits. Thank you in advance for any information that anyone can provide. Semper Fi.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and new to the process as a whole. I was in the USMC from 89-94 and was discharged with a 10% disability rating. I filed a claim upon discharge and just found out I was approved in 1996 but the VA could not find me as my address had changed. They apparantly had been sending checks until 2002 when they stopped due to th being sent back. I literally have lived within 5 miles of this location since my claim approval so I am stumped how hard it would have been to find me but nonetheless, I corrected my address information and my local VA rep took my direct deposit information and requested my case be reopened (claim already approved) and for the back pay and monthly benefits be sent to me. Does anyone know how long this takes? My congressman just opened and inquiry into this a couple days ago. As I stated, my claim has been approved for years. I have never received any benefits due to having an old address and because of such my file was closed. My rep reopened the claim and I am just wondering on a timeline to begin receiving the benefits I should have been getting for years. I am a single father of two kids and am in a significant financial dilemma as I am sure many are. Just foreclosed on and a bankruptcy discharged. Please if someone can give me a timeline. I have heard it takes years to get claims approved but mine has been approved. Just waiting for them to reopen and start sending my benefits. Thank you in advance for any information that anyone can provide. Semper Fi.

I doubt anyone could give you anything other than a WAG... that is just the way it is. I would suggest you get together with your VSO and ask to file for a hardship... bring proof of Bill Collection, Bankruptcy, and such that show you are in a financial hardship. I think you did about everything else.

Hmmmmm...1996~2014....

18 years.....plus two , years back pay dating back to 1994.

Id guess your owed around 17k.

That would be logical but I dont know if there are hurdles in place when this kinda thing happens.

God bless you and your kids and I pray you get whats owed

Thank you both for your answers. My local VA rep says it's just shy of 23k, minus my 12,000 in severance I should receive somewhere around 11,500. Great news considering I was expecting it at all. I actually went into VA to file a claim. They estimate I'm currently around 30-40% disability now. I completely forgot I even filed a claim that many years ago so it came as a surprise. Was told all I have to do now is file an emended claim and am gathering all my service connected medical records since I was discharged. Either way I was pleasantly surprised to know I was already approved and owed money in the first place especially considering my current situation. I was expecting my claim to take years and certainly wasn't expecting to find out I had already been approved 18 years ago and owed money. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I guess my next question would be how long does it take to adjust a claim from 10% up to 30 or 40% provided my records warrant such an increase. From what I'm reAding that's the great mystery. Not complaining at all as I am happy as hell I filed when I did (even though my shot memory doesn't recall doing so). Lol. Thanks again for taking the time to read my message and respond. Semper Fi.