VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I Cancel My Insurance?

Rate this question

nlualum82

Question

My youngest is turning 26 soon.

I was awarded 100% P&T 2 years ago.

I retired from the post office 1 year ago.

My wife now has CHAMPVA.

I always carried Kaiser Permanente insurance through the union

I kept the same insurance after retirement at a big increase in monthly premiums...and it has gone up again recently.

When I use VA care they bill Kaiser.

I want to drop the Kaiser insurance.

I want to make sure that it's okay. I was wondering if there was some stipulation that I had to keep what I had to defray VA's costs.

Does anyone know, or know who to check with?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Nlualum

I would not drop my private insurance until I had medicare at least. You sure don't want to depend solely on VA for all your healthcare if you have a choice. The VA recently denied me a certain drug I needed based just on cost. I can use my private insurance to get the drug via mail program for a low cost. I have medicare and BC/BS from OPM. I am not dropping this insurance. Now for my wife I do think she could do without BCBS once she gets medicare because she has ChampVA . FEHB is just about the only good thing the feds provide for retirees. My FERS pension is a joke.....$1200 a month for 30 years all taxable. I make $600 a month more from SSD than I do from FERS. I make almost three times from VA compensation than I do from FERS. FERS provides decent insurance at a reasonable cost and that is about it.

John

I'm in the same boat right now. Just rated at 90%, TDIU P&T. Going to get my wife covered under ChampVA and find a decent supplement. I'm receiving a OPM disability retirement and have Kaiser insurance. However we're moving to Texas next month and will need to switch. Trying to figure out if I should cancel the OPM insurance or keep it for now. I'll be covered under Medicare in about a year. Wife won't have it for almost three years. Currently paying just over $300 a month for the Kaiser and another $90 for dental. That's coming out of a $980 disability retirement.

• HadIt.com Elder

You know I pay about $500 for insurance out of 30 year OPM(FERS) retirement of $1200 a month. Was this supposed to be a joke? I get $600 a month more from SSD than from my full retirement from USPS. I did contribute to Thrift Savings the max straight into the C fund from the time it started. If you are getting VA 100% rate you should try and keep your OPM insurance even if you have medicare. I do not like to leave my ass exposed to what may happen in a year. You could get a diagnosis of brain cancer. Anything can happen in a year. Do you want to spend your last days on earth at a VA hospital or nursing home where you sit in a wet diaper all day until some dope decides it is time for a change? I even bought long term care insurance for me and my wife because I had three relatives die in nursing homes and I know what the VA provides in my town. The VA has their own overcrowded nursing home and contracts with others where you last three months while they just neglect you until you die. Don't put your trust in the VA just because it is free. I am missing two teeth I had to pay to replace due to "free dental care". If it is free you are getting just what you paid for it. I use the VA hospital for SC conditions just to keep the records up to date and to document my disabilities. Anything else and you are rolling the dice with your life IMO.

John