VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Dr For Imo For Sleep Apnea Secondary To Ptsd, Also Dmii Secondary To Ptsd

Rate this question

USMC_HVEQ

Question

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a Dr. in the Boston area or where ever that has done/will do an IMO/IME (Whatever is required) for Sleep Apnea (OSA) secondary to SC'd PTSD.

I am medically retired Marine as of 2007...I complained for years about sleep issues and was told that I snored extremely loud. Others said I stopped breathing. I said maybe I have sleep apnea, i dont know, but I want a sleep study. Well the Marine Corps, never got me one as I was on my way out. It is noted in my exit physical that I had complained and have continously complainted since getting out finally in August of 2007. I know that other than that I had no service records of sleep issues. Upon finally getting the green light for a VA sleep study in 2009, I filed a claim as secondary to ptsd in 9/2009. It was denied in 8/2010, even though once I had the sleep study they said I have sleep apnea and even issued me a CPAP. I appealed in 2011, which is where that appeal is still sitting at the RO. I am currently 90% combined. I have been on meds since 2007. I understand that I need to have the dots connected for the VA to approve that sleep apnea as a secondary that was either caused or aggrevated by my service connected PTSD. sorry for the long back story.

I am looking for others that have had this approved as a secondary to PTSD and a doctor familiar with VA procedures, PTSD, OSA for an IMO.

I also was diagnosed last 2/2013 with type 2 diabetes (DMII). I'm wondering if that can be service connected. I have not filed a claim for that. I'm not trying to claim everything under the son but i also want to make sure everything is covered. I'm currently sc'd for PTSD 70% (have an appeal pending for schedular 100%, last c&P on 6/2013 for 3/2013 reevaluation) examiner thought I should be 100% but due to some work in the past, he lowered it to 70%. I also put in a claim for TDIU in 12/2013. I have not worked since 12/2012. Once again, sorry to go off on another tangent. I get side tracked easily. I'm also sc'd for HTN (10%), Tinnitus (10%), Bilater Factor for left and right dislocations (20%,20% Combined 40% with bilateral factor for those 2. I was told in the Marines I was prediabetic, but they never treated nor did anything for me. It was kind of off the cuff when I was going through my exit physical.I'm just curious if it is possible to service connect my recent type 2 diabetes (DMII) to secondary for ptsd or alone on its own. I currently take metformin pill and was increased from 1 pill once a day to 2 pills per day. I know that would fall under the 20% for DMII due to taking medication, even without the bump from my ptsd, either schedular 100% or IU...having SA & DMII service connected would get me to 95% which rounds to 100% schedular.

So any info people can shed I appreciate it. Someone mentioned Dr. Bash. I emailed but never got a response and I'm not even sure he would be the right person for my case. I'd love to know who was successful in service connecting DMII as secondary to ptsd or stand alone (no in service diagnosis) and successful for Sleep apnea (OSA) secondary to ptsd.

I know I droned on and on. I thank each and every one who takes the time to even read my post, let alone respond with some help.

thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all.

Hello 71M10,

You asked about low hemacrit (anemia)? is GERD related to sleep apnea?

I am rated for both GERD and PTSD and have been diagnosed with sleep apnea. Can sleep apnea be secondary to both GERD and PTSD?

• HadIt.com Elder

Is it at all possible to get SC for OSA if there are only a few entries in your 40 year old records about sleep problems? My OSA is not controlled well by Cpap. I have SC DMII, heart issues and neuropathy in all four limbs and a host of psychological problems. All this stuff except psychological stuff is due to AO exposure. I also have GERD. I woke up a few night ago hyperventilating with Cpap Mask on and machine running. This put fear in my soul. The pulmonologists have given up on me and my apnea. Part is central and part is obstructive. If it is going to kill me I would like to get it SC'ed. Is this something our old friend the IMO doctor Bash could pull off. I do have an entry in my SMR's where I sort of went berserk due to days and days of not being able to sleep. I was young, slim and pretty fit in those days. Now I am old, fat and half-dead. It is the fully dead thing I am planning around these days.

John

I don't know yet. I havent sent any paperwork to the doc for an IMO. he was talking getting me TDIU, but I'm already gonna be getting that on my own. I just want to SC the sleep apnea.

I'm not looking to SC everything under the sun, im just trying to figure out if it is from my service or not. The type 2 DM, might not be able to connect, I dunno. What is GERD? no clue on how the connect a lot for OSA. I know it is difficult and they tend to deny even with an IMO, so Ive heard. the fact we have to pay for an IMO to begin with blows. All I know is I complained about sleep issues on my way out of Marines, when I was diagnosed with PTSD. I was told by friends and family that I snored extremely loud and stopped breathing. I had asked seemingly everyone for a sleep study to at least rule it out if it wasnt a factor. That asking took 5 yrs...then upon sleep study lady put mask on me with in 30 mins. I said do you think i have it? lady is like I wouldnt have put the mask on you if you didnt. This is my personal rationale. I think with my massive weight gain this may have been a cause or aggrevation of an underlying sleep disorder, I dunno.

I'm gathering my old records, dont know where I put some of the rating stuff, which they need so they can refute for IMO. I have to do some more cleaning, stuff is buried in containers in a mess. so i need to sort if out.

Ill keep ya posted gents..

thanks

S/F

GERD - Gastro esophageal reflux disease, I've read that some Veterans have been successful service connecting OSA to GERD.

So I wonder if it is possible to claim Sleep Apnea secondary to both PTSD and GERD? I am amazed how hard it is to get sleep doctors to do an IME.

USMC_HVEQ, did you have any luck at the VetCenter?

• HadIt.com Elder

I will ask my private pulmonologist if my OSA could be related to SC conditions? I am having new sleep studies done both day and night because I am so sleepy during the day even with Cpap. Pulmonologist are concerned with fixing your OSA and not doing reports to help you get SC from the VA. If you have stuff in your SMC's that documents OSA then it would be a lot easier to get the doctor to do an IMO. If you want them to stick your neck out and say that PTSD or Gerd causes OSA I think that will be harder unless you have a guy like Dr.Bash. I take this drug called "Provigil" which is supposed to help me stay awake during the day. The problem is it causes me to hyperventilate at night.

I mentioned GERD and Anemia, since they would be possible medical manifestations that Sleep Apnea is occuring, not necessarilly the cause of your sleep apnea but indicators it was occureing. My GERD cleared up when I was put on CPAP, The anemia connection is inflamation, OSA does cause systemic inflamation and messes with your oxygen level. I still have my mild anemia thanks to the 24+ year history of spinal arthritis. Hypertension is one of first things that will happen with Sleep apnea, right atrial enlargment is another thing that shows up early. Search your records for these things and see if the corelate to SMR entires about sleep dificulties or observed behaviours by others (buddy statements). If you already have SC for GERD or Hypertension look in the medical files and see if they identify why you have it (most hypertension will be listed as essential -unexplained.

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use