VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi 1St Denial

Rate this question

saints13

Question

I have applied for SSDI and found out today just after a few weeks that i was denied. No exams only the adult questionnaire that I filled out. They said they went off my VA records as evidence.

Im unemployable and haven't been employed since August 2013. I also have a letter from my last job describing that I was laid off due to missing to much work and also due to all my conditions that I could no longer perform my duties. My VA PCP letter stating I'm unemployable, VA ILP home assessment counselor stating severe PTSD and unemployable, VOC rehab stating in unemployable and unemployment saying I was denied and unemployable. All this was submitted to SSDI as evidence as well.

Conditions:

PTSD

Anxiety

Depression

Bilateral knee derangement

Hypertension

Lower back pain

Left hand medial nerve damage

SSDI said we do not have sufficient vocational information to determine whether you can perform any of your past relevant work. However based on the evidence on file, we have determined that you can adjust to other work and do not meet requirements for disability benefits.

That really knocked me back. Guessing VA increase for all above will be denied as well, its just my luck.

SSDI is different than VA Comp.

SSDI has two components necessary to qualify.

1) A documented medical condition deemed severe enough to keep you out of the work force.

2) Prior financial considerations. That is, you must have earned enough credits within the last 10 years.

The amount of earnings it takes to earn a credit has changed since 1978. In the year 2015, you must earn $1,220 in covered earnings to get one Social Security or Medicare work credit and $4,880 to get the maximum four credits for the year.

The number of work credits needed for disability benefits depends on your age when you become disabled. Generally, you need 40 credits, 20 of which were earned in the last 10 years ending with the year you become disabled. However, younger workers may qualify with fewer credits.

The rules are as follows:

• Before age 24--You may qualify if you have 6 credits earned in the 3-year period ending when your disability starts.
  • Age 24 to 31--You may qualify if you have credit for working half the time between age 21 and the time you become disabled. For example, if you become disabled at age 27, you would need credit for 3 years of work (12 credits) out of the past 6 years (between ages 21 and 27).
  • Age 31 or older--In general, you need to have the number of work credits shown in the chart below.

Unless you are blind, you must have earned at least 20 of the credits in the 10 years immediately before you became disabled.

Born after 1929, Became Disabled At Age Number of Credits You Need

• 31 through 42 - 20
  • 44 - 22
  • 46 - 24
  • 48 - 26
  • 50 - 28
  • 52 - 30
  • 54 - 32
  • 56 - 34
  • 58 - 36
  • 60 - 38
  • 62 or older - 40

http://www.ssa.gov/planners/credits.html#a0=2

If you've only worked in one field, say, "Offshore drilling", the SSA might determine that you are not suited for any occupation. If however, you were an accountant, you would have to prove by virtue of your job, that you can not work any job "related" to your current or past employment.

Edited by TexasMarine