VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mental Health Exam

Rate this question

dav_marine72

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hey Everyone,

Wow I thought I'd seen it all, not even close. So I go for my sixth mental health exam in nine years. I'm still on appeal from original 30% then bumped to 50%. The CAVC ordered another round of exams for everything. I normally have the exam done by the same doctor at the medical facility I go to. Well apparently he was backed up so they send me to the other facility in CT. I filled out the doctor's intake form and clearly checked / stated I don't have a TBI and that I do have suicidal tendencies but not currently. So she conducts her exam. To my dismay she never asked me about suicidal tendencies or suicide at all. I don't share well and wasn't going to bring the topic up myself. It makes me feel weak that at times I do consider it because I get tired of living in constant pain. She also bluntly asked me what I was looking to get out of the exam. I told her I was on appeal since 2005 for this one and was looking for a higher rating based on the evidence and my symptoms. She was like but your already 100%. I said yes but I'm 94% on the schedule and want 100% so I can work and not get screwed with. I also stated that back pay was at stake. Mind you I struggle with work but I struggle more with my mind not working of some sort.

So she writes in her exam report, veteran is here today seeking a 100% rating for mental health service connection. At this time the Veteran does not meet any criteria set forth in the DSM for a mental condition. I believe his daily anxiety and panic attacks are a result of detoxing in between his opiate doses. I feel if he was on proper dosing of opiates his mental issues would disappear. She also states in her exam I have a TBI. Then as a final kick you when your down (remember this is an increase exam) she finishes her report by saying I do not believe the Veterans mental health symptoms are due to his military service.

Well first let me say I am on 120 mgs of Morphine and 25 mgs of dilaudid daily. I don't think more opiates are the answer. Second I love how she twisted my words and made me look like a scammer asking for 100% for my mental condition which I don't believe I rate. 70% is what my lawyer and I were shooting for based on my symptoms. Third my mental condition is secondary to my back condition. Fourth she voided the exam by stating I had a TBI and not discussing my suicidal tendencies. Fifth detoxing between doses? It's called severe back and leg pain from a failed 3 level fusion. So I went through that BS just to have the exam thrown out. Gotta love it!

• HadIt.com Elder

Yeah I know the 90-100 schedular is a huge hurdle. However, I'm at 93% now rounded up. With the number of service connections I have on appeal it's not a far cry that I will tip the 94.5 scale based on my lawyers thoughts. Who knows when and if it will happen though! Thanks everyone.