• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
dav_marine72

Firing Your Lawyer?

I assume once your under contract there is no way to get out with your lawyer? I would assume you need to prove some type of malice on their part? Not happy with my current attorney but I think I'm stuck until appeal process is over which means until I die. Anyone know if there is anyway out?

Need a lot more information! Have you discussed your dissatisfaction with him and given him the opportunity to correct what ever is bothering you? What work has he done for you? He apparently felt that you have a winnable claim with enough potential retro $ to make it worth his time; and you felt he was the right attorney for the job. What has changed? What has or hasn't he done in violation of your contract? Can what ever it is be fixed? How long has he been your attorney? What are you claiming in addition to the long list of conditions for which you are already service-connected? What VA benefit would you receive by winning the claim the attorney was hired to assist you with? At what stage is your claim currently?

It has been my experience that it is much more difficult to get an attorney than it is to get rid of one. Keep in mind that if a second attorney takes your case, that attorney becomes liable for any and all possible errors by commission or omission committed by your original attorney. This could be legal malpractice and/or legal malfeasance as opposed to "malice" which would mean he has intentionally committed some act for the expressed purpose of harming you or your claim. The latter is extremely rare and would be dealt with by your state's bar and would have little or nothing to do with your claim. Not many attorneys are willing to take a case under those circumstances unless the potential chances of success AND the amount of money they would collect by being successful are BOTH very high.

Edited by GuaymasJim

I have a crappy lawyer too. I have had to do all of my leg work. I had called him probably 100 times and finally last week after a few months he called back. He had the nerve to tell me "Since it has only been 5 months on your claim Sir, we would only make $300 on your case if you get approved, WTH". Since I am under contract, I am just going to do all the leg work, and if I have any questions, there is always a lot of help on this site. If I win, I don't care what I have to pay the lawyer, as long as I win in the end. Sorry to hear of your misfortunes. You just need to take the weekend and think about what to do next. God Bless and keep us posted.

Keep in mind that if a second attorney takes your case, that attorney becomes liable for any and all possible errors by commission or omission committed by your original attorney. This could be legal malpractice and/or legal malfeasance as opposed to "malice"...

After reading this statement I drove to Whole Foods and climbed into a barrel of bulk Sea Salt and quietly closed the lid.

Pick your lawyer carefully and pick your fights carefully. I am in favor of lawyers helping vets, but when I read what I just read I wonder. However, if you have a claim where you feel you are in over your head then asking for legal advice and/or representation is probably your best bet most of the time. I tell you one thing: The amount of potential retro is equal to the amount of zeal the lawyers show IMO. My lawyer has made many trips to Florida from Jersey and from Jersey to DC on my (and his) behalf due to potential retro, and the fact he is in so deep now he wants to win badly. When they ignored his briefs at DRO and BVA he got mad. Now at CAVC they may still deny us. Such is life with the VA machine.

John