VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

$$Broke

Rate this question

ineedhelp

Question

I am in the process of a PTSD claim that I applied for in Oct 2013. I have reached the end of my savings ( I have not worked in 6 years ) and am trying to live off of $700 social security check. I am a 66 year old 2 tour Brownwater Navy Vietnam combat veteran. Here is my question: I was told by a veteran rep at the vet center that I would qualify for financial help thru the pension section of the VA because of my minimal income. My fear is that if I were to apply for this aid I may put my PTSD claim in some form of jeopardy, I don't get out much so I don't spend alot but I can't make it on $700 and I have run out of things to sell. PTSD is hell and if you couple that with not being able to pay your bills...well life is a bitch..thanks for any thoughts....

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I am in the process of a PTSD claim that I applied for in Oct 2013. I have reached the end of my savings ( I have not worked in 6 years ) and am trying to live off of $700 social security check. I am a 66 year old 2 tour Brownwater Navy Vietnam combat veteran. Here is my question: I was told by a veteran rep at the vet center that I would qualify for financial help thru the pension section of the VA because of my minimal income. My fear is that if I were to apply for this aid I may put my PTSD claim in some form of jeopardy, I don't get out much so I don't spend alot but I can't make it on $700 and I have run out of things to sell. PTSD is hell and if you couple that with not being able to pay your bills...well life is a bitch..thanks for any thoughts....

Sounds like you qualify for NSC Pension. It will give you a little more money than your SS. NSC pension is about $1038 per month for Vet only, higher with dependents. Applying shouldn't effect your SC claim but you'll never know what the VA will use to delay or deny your PTSD claim. You might also request an expedited decision due to financial hardship.

Amicus is right, you should be able to qualify for that money, but you will probably delay your PTSD claim. I know you are going thru rough times, but your PTSD claim might be done in a few months, and they will help you a whole lot more in the long run, than a few bucks now. Go get Food Stamps, go ask Church for help, do whatever, just don't want to see you starving 6 months from now.

thanks for the input...I feel like it would hurt my PTSD claim so I will hang in there as is...I would never consider asking for any help like food stamps ect....it was hard enough to ask the VA for medical help and making a PTSD claim. I finally after 45 years concluded that I earned this, weather I receive the help or not I sure as hell earned it. Thanks for your input, and thanks for this site being here to help us out

you can contact your congressmans liason and tell them your utilities are going to get shut off. that will make it a hardshiip claim, and can expediate things. I tell you this from experience as a friend of mines wife is a congressmans liason assitant. when helping me with my claim, thats the first thing she asked. luckily, things were that bad yet. it sounds like its that bad for you though. utilize your resources. it wont hurt your claim.