VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Incarcerated Veterans

Rate this question

MPsgt

Question

I was an Agent last year with the State Tracking Violent Sex Offenders. You would not believe how many of them were collecting SSDI before they went it, got out of jail, fill out a few forms, no exams, and getting SSDI again. I had Offenders that once they got out of Prison, they were living and eating for free. I had to check their bank statements once a month, and it would make me sick, these guys would have THOUSANDS of not HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of DOLLARS in the BANK, and living off of us. Yet, when it comes to DISABLED VETS we are having to fight Tooth and Nail for as little as the Govt will give us. I can not even get FOOD STAMPS. The County said that I have too many ASSETS, she told me " Well if you sell a Vehicle and your 4-Wheeler, you will qualify for $152 a month of Food Stamps, WTH!" There are a lot of Disabled Vets that don't deserve to be in Prison, and they should get the same benefits as the rest of us.

• HadIt.com Elder

I was under the impression that a incarcerated Vet could receive 10% of reduced amount, and the dependants could file for their portion.........One must also consider that there exist a whole lot of Vet's that are in prison for SC issues that the VA failed them on , in mental health and or addiction.

Any amount over 20% the family members can file. The Veterans portion is reduced to 10%. If the Veteran is rated at only 10%. It's reduced to half of that amount until the Veteran is released from prison. A pension is suspended until time served.