VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Va Pension - Her Ssdi

SubDude

My 1st post, so "Hello" to everyone - here goes.

I have received my VA Disability Pension with A&A for one yr now, this is my wife's & my only income. She has just now been awarded SSDI.

Here's the question(s) - Does her's automatically come out of mine - just my pension OR from both pension plus A&A?

When she receives a lump back payment, does my pension stop until all of that is paid for?

Can OR should we try and switch her SSDI to SSI (she qualifies for either)?

Thanks for any & all imput.

My 1st post, so "Hello" to everyone - here goes.

I have received my VA Disability Pension with A&A for one yr now, this is my wife's & my only income. She has just now been awarded SSDI.

Here's the question(s) - Does her's automatically come out of mine - just my pension OR from both pension plus A&A?

When she receives a lump back payment, does my pension stop until all of that is paid for?

Can OR should we try and switch her SSDI to SSI (she qualifies for either)?

Thanks for any & all imput.

I surely would not switch her SSDI to SSI, as SSI is also income dependent.

I believe your VA Pension with A&A is also income dependent.

Hopefully others can chime in on this.

jmho

http://benefits.va.gov/PENSION/spousepen.asp

Your yearly family income must be less than the amount set by Congress to qualify for the Survivors Pension benefit. Learn more about income and net worth limitation, and see an example of how VA calculates the Survivors Pension benefit.

Your va pension will be affected by her new income as pension is income based. It is based on household income. The retro may stop the pension but can be reinstated after new year. (Notification letter will tell you). Also, keep track of medical expenses during that time, if it is stopped and turn in a va form 21-8416 for medical expenses reimbursement at end of year (one time payment). Some vets may no make it for monthly payment but can submit end year medical expenses and get a one time payment because end year expenses knocked down under threshold for one month. Link below helps a little better. You can go to va.gov and look under benefits and choose pension and it will help you too. Jmho

http://benefits.va.gov/PENSION/rates.asp

Edited by JT24usn

I will explain pension. Lets say you were awarded VA pension of $1000 per month. (The number was "rounded" off by me for simplification as it depends on how many dependents you have)

This means you will take home a MAXIMUM income of $1000 per month FROM ALL SOURCES. It does not mean the VA will pay you $1000 per month, it means the VA will pay you UP TO $1000 per month depending upon how much, if any, other income you have.

VA pension counts HOUSEHOLD INCOME. So you have to report any income in your household and it will be deducted from the $1000 per month. IN your example, if your wife gets $800 per month social security, then your pension would be $200 per month as that would bring you up to the maximum $1000 per month total income.

• 1 month later...

There are professionals who can assist you with handling these issues and will do so for free. If you'd like the link to their website, let me know. They are very thorough and will help you get what you need and are entitled to.